• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cleaning/care of a Stackhouse bowl

Howdy. I'm looking for advice on cleaning and preserving a bowl Bob Stackhouse turned from a single piece of Thailand teak. Backstory: we recently inherited some kitchenware and cookbooks from an aunt, including what looked like a salad bowl made from what appeared to be walnut. I was amazed when I found Stackhouse's signature on the bottom. My aunt evidently used it regularly as a salad bowl. The inside has darkened and the inner and outer surfaces feel gummy and sticky to the touch, so I assume she rubbed it occasionally with olive oil or canola. Can anyone suggest how I should clean it and what would be a good finish to apply afterward? Thanks!

I'm just guessing, but I think you mean a bowl made by Bob Stocksdale. That's probably a very valuable bowl, a collectable. As woodturners, most of us would probably use a solvent of some kind to clean up the bowl and then apply a good oil finish. But from a collectors viewpoint that could greatly diminish the value of the bowl. I would suggest you talk to someone that collects wood art and see what they say.

I retract my suggestion for WD40, and agree with soap and water as a first approach. Can Stockdales preferred finish be ascertained? That would suggest the best approach, I would think.
Best, Spike

Well, I have almost no experience with teak, mostly because it is so rare. It is a very oily wood, and I guess similar to Ipe. Hard to get any finish to stick to it or penetrate. For cleaning it, I would go with Dawn dish soap and a plastic scrubby pad and see what that does. I have taken bowls that had that gummy residue on the walls and used the restaurant grade steel pads, soap, and elbow grease.

robo hippy

I was just reading a bit about Stocksdale and ran across this:
Stocksdale:
Oh, it's a very simple process. I just wash the old finish off with lacquer thinner, and it scrubs right off. Then I put another coat of finish on it. Three coats, actually.”
Unfortunately he didn’t mention just what that finish was, an oil of some sort I would guess.
Best, Spike

Appreciate everyone's advice & suggestions. First, apologies for messing up the turner's name--should have been Bob Stocksdale. Not sure where Stackhouse came from...

Anyway, I ran across a long interview (link below) with Stocksdale recorded by UC-Berkeley's Bancroft Library in 1997. He talks extensively about his life, work and some of his techniques. Early in his career (1950s-1970s) he made utilitarian items, including salad bowls and sets that were sold through Gump's, a high end department store in San Francisco. Expect that was where my aunt bought her bowl since she lived in San Francisco for decades.

In the interview, Stocksdale says that the Gump's items were finished with mineral oil while his later decorative pieces were finished with three coats of lacquer. He also talks about refinishing salad bowls for old customers by (as Spike noted) washing off the old finish with lacquer thinner. He then re-sanded the bowls on the lathe and applied a new coat of mineral oil.

https://digitalassets.lib.berkeley.edu/rohoia/ucb/pdftext/pioneerwoodlathe00stocrich.txt

Best regards, Charles

Back