• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cindy Drozda finials

Good morning all,

As most turners are, I am in awe of Cindys beautiful finials. But have one question about them. Having never been able to handle any of her pieces, I was wondering, when she makes these finials, does she make the collar and finial piece all as one piece, or does she do this as two seperate pieces.

Her finials mostly go on hollowed pieces, If she does this in 2 pieces, does she glue the finial into the collar, or is it removable? If removable, what would you say is the average hole diameter of the recess for the finial.

Thanks much,

Roger
Hoping one day to turn finials half as nice as Cindy does.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I can't answer all your questions. I've seen her work and handled one piece when I had to photograph it but I've never actually talked to her about it. I know the pieces are made seperately. I know the bottom finials are glued in and suspect the top ones are also but I don't know that as fact.
I have a problem with people trying to lift the top finials off my pieces like they might be a lid. I'm still debating what to do about it. If I glue them in (which I do) I risk having someone possible break the thing. If I don't glue them in the wood movement will make them loose over the years and the finial could even get lost in handling.
One solution I'm going to look at is to use threaded lids. I'm going to learn to chase threads and I'm going to build one of the threading jigs so I can use woods that aren't suitable for hand chasing. This way the top finial will actually be removeable if necessary. I don't know if this is a good solution or not but I've been dying to learn to chase threads and this is the excuse I'm using to buy new gear.

Finial

I have her video and it is really good. It is all about fitting the lid and basic turning and design of the finial, a god purchase. In the video she shows how to turn the lid and finial as one piece. In the video on the "woodworkingchannel.com" she put a collar on the box and then turned a top with finial to fit.

Try the video you will like it.

Vernon

Back