• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck options with quick change jaws

Are there any good chucks out now with quick change jaws or is there a reason they no longer seem to be popular? The Nova and Barracuda chucks seem to be no longer a thing.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have a Nova infinity chuck with a full set of sizes in jaws, love the fact the jaw sizes overlap so whatever size tenon you wind up with you can pop a set on the chuck to grip it.

That's definitely a drawback with the Stronghold chucks, as there is a small gap between the largest tenon that can be mounted in the #2 jaws, and the smallest tenon that can be gripped with the #3 jaws. Since I'm aware of this, I know what size of tenon to make, and thus avoiding any problems with mounting. As long as there is awareness of what sizes can and cannot be used, there is no issue. I do recall making this mistake back in the day.......but, no longer! :rolleyes:

-----odie-----

Back