• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Charles Chaloupka

Hi, my name is Charles Chaloupka, twice retired new AAW member. I spent twenty-two yrs with the United States Air Force and 18 years as a business owner. I learned woodturning from my Ag teacher in high school in Riviera Texas in 1974-6, thanks Jerry Malin. Bought my first lathe used, a Jet 1442. Great machine, used it for the first two years. Joined Emerald Coast Woodturners nearly 3 years ago, and what a great bunch of people. I still have several challenges I cant seem to overcome. Getting pieces to turn true, and finishing. As a plumber for 40 plus years, my only challenge was getting pipes to run and not leak. So I will look forward to mentoring on both those fronts. I am also having issues with downloading pictures to the AAW site. Despite all efforts I still get an error message saying image is too big. I have converted my ipad pictures to jng and jpg format to no avail. Im sure im not the first to encounter this issue and would greatly appreciate any help.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Charles.

I can help you with uploading images from your iPad to the forum. First of all, the maximum pixel dimensions of uploaded images should be no greater than 1920 pixels on the longest side. However, the error message is the result of the file size being greater than 1 MB (2 MB if you are an AAW member), so from practical perspective it would make a lot more sense if the image size is kept to 1200 pixels or less on the longest side. You can achieve this by first doing some judicious cropping to cut out unnecessary areas on the perimeter of the image. Next, the cropped image can be resized as necessary to make the image meet the file size requirements as well as making the image more viewer friendly. There a number of free apps for the iPad that can be used to resize images. I use one called Simple Resize. There are also apps that will enable you to apply file size compression if necessary to achieve further file size reduction (most of the time this isn't necessary).

Thanks for the info. I am a new AAW member and I’ve checked the size of the file and it is smaller than 2 mb, 1.89 to be exact. If members get 2 mb, then I have other issues. I’ll keep working at it when I’m not turning.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks for the info. I am a new AAW member and I’ve checked the size of the file and it is smaller than 2 mb, 1.89 to be exact. If members get 2 mb, then I have other issues. I’ll keep working at it when I’m not turning.

@Charles Chaloupka the problem is that you didn't indicate that you are an AAW member when you joined the forum. Therefore, you are limited to posting images that are one MB or less in size. If you will update your profile to show your AAW member number and then notify me via private message (Conversation is the term used by this forum software), I will update your status. I would encourage you to reduce the file size so that members with slower internet connections won't have to wait a long time to view your images.

@Charles Chaloupka the problem is that you didn't indicate that you are an AAW member when you joined the forum. Therefore, you are limited to posting images that are one MB or less in size. If you will update your profile to show your AAW member number and then notify me via private message (Conversation is the term used by this forum software), I will update your status. I would encourage you to reduce the file size so that members with slower internet connections won't have to wait a long time to view your images.
Bill, I haven’t received a member number. It was on my list to inquire about. Can you help with that or do I need to contact someone else?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
welcome to the forum.

the Florida symposium is coming up Feb 7-9. Well worth the trip.
A selection of terrific demonstrators.

still have several challenges I cant seem to overcome. Getting pieces to turn true, and finishing.

If you come to the FWS AND win the day in the shop with me we’ll work on your technique. Show you ways to let the tools do all the work while you cradle them.

generally out of round turnings result from either poor mounting or too much tool pressure.

too much tails tock pressure on a spindle can cause it to bow and turn out of round
Poor tenon or sloppy faceplate mount promotes vibration which can make a turning out of round

pressing with the tool makes it hard for the tool to cut and often sets up vibration.
Not riding the bevel can set uo

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill, I haven’t received a member number. It was on my list to inquire about. Can you help with that or do I need to contact someone else?

If you have received a copy of American Woodturner, your member number is on the address label. Another way to find it would be to print a membership card. The best way is to call the AAW office.

welcome to the forum.

the Florida symposium is coming up Feb 7-9. Well worth the trip.
A selection of terrific demonstrators.

If you come to the FWS AND win the day in the shop with me we’ll work on your technique. Show you ways to let the tools do all the work while you cradle them.

generally out of round turnings result from either poor mounting or too much tool pressure.

too much tails tock pressure on a spindle can cause it to bow and turn out of round
Poor tenon or sloppy faceplate mount promotes vibration which can make a turning out of round

pressing with the tool makes it hard for the tool to cut and often sets up vibration.
Not riding the bevel can set uo
I am already registered for the AAW symposium in Florida this February and am looking forward to it. The tips you gave are issues I have encountered and just need more practice or real guidance. The mounting I use the most is woodworm screw. I haven’t figured out how to get surface flat where it meets chuck. That’s usually where my wobble comes from. I figured you could turn the wobble out. Apparently not

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Log in to the AAW website (woodturner.org) and go to your "About Me" page by clicking on your name, and scroll down to Member Demographics below your address, the first item with be your Member ID number.

Log in to the AAW website (woodturner.org) and go to your "About Me" page by clicking on your name, and scroll down to Member Demographics below your address, the first item with be your Member ID number.
Thanks for the info, but I’ve done that and there isn’t a number posted where it should be

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I am already registered for the AAW symposium in Florida this February and am looking forward to it. The tips you gave are issues I have encountered and just need more practice or real guidance. The mounting I use the most is woodworm screw. I haven’t figured out how to get surface flat where it meets chuck. That’s usually where my wobble comes from. I figured you could turn the wobble out. Apparently not

Hopefully we can meet.

If the wood is tight to the chuck on the screw center you can turn the wood round.
You need to turn a round spot for the bevel to ride on then work from smooth into the rough(out of round)
I try to avoid getting trapped into riding the bevel on the out of round surface which then just follows the out of round surface.

I use a screw mount when I make seed jars. Sort of like two bowls glued together at the rims to make a hollow form. The link below takes you to the thread in the tips & techniques. There is a video of a demo. You can see how I turn the bowl on a screw mount.

http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/turning-a-seed-jar-split-hollow-form.13584/

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
From the FAQ on the new site (which apparently you need to be logged out to find it - https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/Website-FAQ-s.aspx#MemberNumber) apparently new members are no longer given a number:

"If you joined December 2019 going forward, no member number will be displayed. If you require a member number, please contact the AAW office..."
This forum might want to look into how to otherwise identify new members? If you had asked me to call some office to be assigned a number so I could be considered a "full" member on an online forum... I'd bail. But thats just me....

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
From the FAQ on the new site (which apparently you need to be logged out to find it - https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/Website-FAQ-s.aspx#MemberNumber) apparently new members are no longer given a number:

"If you joined December 2019 going forward, no member number will be displayed. If you require a member number, please contact the AAW office..."
This forum might want to look into how to otherwise identify new members? If you had asked me to call some office to be assigned a number so I could be considered a "full" member on an online forum... I'd bail. But thats just me....

Prior to the software change AAW member numbers weren't displayed in the online directory. So, I was somewhat surprised to see it being displayed when the new software came out. So my interpretation of the statement is exactly what the FAQ says ... the member number won't be displayed. Maybe member numbers won't be assigned, but it doesn't explicitly say that.

I agree that it would be a disincentive for a new AAW member to call the office in order to get assigned a number. It also explains a recent observation that I noticed. On a typical day we get four or five new members and roughly two-thirds are AAW members. In the last several days I've only seen a couple new members who had entered an AAW member number.

Back