• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chapter policy question

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
How does your AAW chapter handle prayer before meals at club sponsored functions?

It was brought to my local clubs board (I currently serve on that board) that some members had a problem with a christian prayer before club functions.

As per our club bylaws and via unanimous passing by the board a motion that our local chapter be deemed apolitical and secular, we passed a motion that a moment of silence be substituted for prayers based on any one faith. We debated long and hard and all but one member of the board was able to put their personal belief system aside and vote for a solution that was equitable for all.

Some of the more vocal christian members are upset at the board for passing such a resolution.

Has this issue ever come up in other chapters? If so how did the club deal with this issue?

I realize this is a divisive topic and really would hope to ONLY hear how clubs dealt with this, not individual personal beliefs.

Thanxs

- John

Last edited:

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
I will answer from a couple of different perspectives. First of all, none of the clubs to which I belong eat together at anything like a formal sit down meal. There is an occasional buffet, where it is every man for himself. I pray for myself in those instances.

Then there are occasions when I am asked to say a prayer before a group just because someone thinks it is the right thing to do. Being a Christian, I inform everyone that it will be a Christian prayer, and that if they are not Christian, they can stand (or sit) there quietly and it will all be over in a minute. :D Besides, why do people get so upset about Someone who they are pretty sure does not exist? A little superstitious indulgence will go a long way to keeping everyone happy, right? :eek:

I don't think there needs to be a prayer, but that is a personal belief, so I will not expand on that idea. :p

Bill

Back