• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ceramic Bench grinding wheels

I have a older Stanley 7" bench grinder (1750 rpm) and I am having a hard time finding SG ceramic alumina grain wheels in 120 and 80 grit in 7" diameter. I am looking for suggestions for where i can find them. In my reading about sharpening, I found that the preferred size is 8" and that 6" wheels are too small for a skew.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I have a older Stanley 7" bench grinder (1750 rpm) and I am having a hard time finding SG ceramic alumina grain wheels in 120 and 80 grit in 7" diameter. I am looking for suggestions for where i can find them. In my reading about sharpening, I found that the preferred size is 8" and that 6" wheels are too small for a skew.
Hmm. I'd wonder if the wheel guards are removable? then you might cut a block of wood as a mounting pad for grinder to shim it higher, and mount CBN wheels in 8 inch. Also, 6 inch wheel would not be too small for a skew, where'd you hear that? Only difference 6 inch vs 7 or 8 inch would be the shape of the hollow grind (which would affect the cutting edge angle, which then could be remedied by a less acute angle?)

If it were me and I insisted on keeping the grinder (as opposed to buying a modern low speed one) I'd look into possibility of removing guards and putting CBN wheels on it - Of course, your grinder's arbor size would be a show-stopper if it was not a standard size.... Since CBN wheels are not subject to breaking apart like frangible grinding wheels, the guards should not be too much of a concern when using CBN (or perhaps they could be modified?) If all I had was a 6 inch I'd not be too concerned about skew sharpening - any problems with the hollow grind eventually could be honed away as you hone the skew to re-sharpen. (Can't imagine trying to use a skew fresh off a 120 grit grinding wheel, it'd get dull so fast.... It is why I never bothered trying skews after discovering that it was near impossible to keep them to a fine edge without extensive honing after grinding, once I got CBN wheels, things went much better)

Hmm. I'd wonder if the wheel guards are removable? then you might cut a block of wood as a mounting pad for grinder to shim it higher, and mount CBN wheels in 8 inch. Also, 6 inch wheel would not be too small for a skew, where'd you hear that? Only difference 6 inch vs 7 or 8 inch would be the shape of the hollow grind (which would affect the cutting edge angle, which then could be remedied by a less acute angle?)

If it were me and I insisted on keeping the grinder (as opposed to buying a modern low speed one) I'd look into possibility of removing guards and putting CBN wheels on it - Of course, your grinder's arbor size would be a show-stopper if it was not a standard size.... Since CBN wheels are not subject to breaking apart like frangible grinding wheels, the guards should not be too much of a concern when using CBN (or perhaps they could be modified?) If all I had was a 6 inch I'd not be too concerned about skew sharpening - any problems with the hollow grind eventually could be honed away as you hone the skew to re-sharpen. (Can't imagine trying to use a skew fresh off a 120 grit grinding wheel, it'd get dull so fast.... It is why I never bothered trying skews after discovering that it was near impossible to keep them to a fine edge without extensive honing after grinding, once I got CBN wheels, things went much better)
Thanks for that advice. I will check to see if the guards are removable.

I would not remove the guards. That type of wheel can break and even at slow speeds, you don't want them breaking up. Not sure if any of the CBN wheel makers have 7 inch wheels or not. You might actually call up Norton to see if they can help you.

robo hippy

I would not remove the guards. That type of wheel can break and even at slow speeds, you don't want them breaking up. Not sure if any of the CBN wheel makers have 7 inch wheels or not. You might actually call up Norton to see if they can help you.

robo hippy

Reed, I believe the proposal was to both 1) remove the wheel guards and 2) replace ALL of the wheels with 8" CBN wheels. Is that still a concern?

I like to keep the inside wheel guard on with the CBN wheels. Main reason is dust control. The metal dust will float around like wood dust. Found some inside a magnetic based lamp box about 3 feet above my grinder. Some one else hung a magnet 10 feet away from their grinder and it got dusty as well. To date, there is no affordable metal dust extractor for woodshops. Only exception would be one of the air scrubbers, but not down where it might suck in sparks. While the CBN wheels will never come apart, the dust is a problem. Many will put rare earth magnets in plastic baggies and that does contain some of the dust, but not all of it. Having the hood on does help control the dust.

robo hippy

To date, there is no affordable metal dust extractor for woodshops.

Fair point, and thanks for clarifying. For what it’s worth, I actually have a metal dust collector base for my grinder that I picked up as a refurb. It helps to a degree, but it’s not enough. I still get metal dust around the base of the grinder like everyone else, which I clean up with a magnet wand tool. Stock wheel guards seem mostly designed to contain wheel explosions, and not to collect dust. Likewise, a grinder platform is great at directing metal dust away from the guards and dust collection.

I think that situation can be improved with a redesigned guard, and possibly a modified platform. I should test the metal dust colletor’s effectiveness with my Dylos, but I’m pretty sure the results will be grim. As it stands, I only use the grinder when turning and I always have breathing protection on (formerly a P100 half mask, now a PAPR). Before doffing that, I turn on the big extractor fan in the back of the shop and let it pull a few cycles of air through.

The effectiveness of dust collector for metal dust is down to the velocity of the air movement. Mine does a fair job, not a 100% ,its Jet with 6" inlet and 2hp motor

Hi Ivan! Good to see you here! McMaster-Carr seems to also have 7” as well as just about every other size wheel you could want.

PS- as I look them up, most even seem to be shipped with bushings to accommodate various arbor sizes.

Last edited:
Back