• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

center rotten part 2

well we spit in the ocean and ran from Noel, so i'm feeling my way through this piece of rotten cherry

only regretable thing so far is the rough log was cut a tad over 12 inches and i had to keep moving tool rest twice as much if i had made the rough log
11 inches

it should start to get interesting this afternoon:D

Attachments

• rottencentercherry.JPG
    rottencentercherry.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 149
opps!

well i need some advice on this shape, deminsions were 10 x 6 1/2 and as you can see i have gone thru and the end is still 1/2 inch thick

i tried to go wide as i hollowed instead of boring 3 inch center and then going wide because of the rotten area (a tip from previous post thanks)

the rotten area did not really make any difference in turning this piece, i could use any pointers anyone feels that will help:confused:, it was fun to do just not very successful the first time:D

Attachments

• oblongcherry.JPG
    oblongcherry.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 117
Hmmmm. Dual axial turning. Not sure where to take it from there Charlie. You could round the whole piece out as mounted and end up with a very interesting spherical vase. Past that, not sure what to suggest.

Dietrich

I'm not sure what you had hoped for as an outcome. I do "angel wing" types like www.aroundthewoods.com , but yours looks like you're trying to leave a continuous circular top, something I've never been clever enough to come up with in my planning. Might give it a go, if you've not decided to copyright the idea. You'll have to trim back the feather edges where you turn through to something fairly regular in thickness if you continue.

I'm not sure what you had hoped for as an outcome

well i have seen oblong shaped hollow forms usually with some type of pedistal holding it up with some type of top, i just need to work with the form a little more, this piece will be set in the corner to remind me of how badly my first attempt was, the piece was a failure but i have learned i hope something and am planning the next attempt:cool2:

i am not planning to copyright this, in fact i am trying to duplicate others oblong hollow forms that i have seen

Last edited:
Back