• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to David Bartell for "Critter Serioes #3" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 23, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CBN wheel with radius?

I picked up a 1-1/2-in wide CBN wheel labeled "Hurricane" - I suspect it's made by a company in China supplying other labels (UF-Sharp for example). Its worked well for me at 180 grit as recommended by most folks. I'm trying to get another wheel but cannot find the 1-1/2 width wheels without some form of radius on edge. Rikon (my grinder) sells 1-1/2 8" wide CBNs but they have 1/4" radius effectively making the wheel a 1" wide. Is there a benefit in having this radial edge or even the 4-1 ones sold by WoodturnersWonders and other outfits? If I am sharpening mostly gouges on a platform and vari-grind jig, is there benefits in the rounded edges?

Last edited:
I have this - square and works great

Kevin Jesequel

TOTW Team
This is a similar wheel from Woodturners Wonders:

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
1-1/2" wide wheels are available from many sources. Here's another one.

I have a 2" rounded edge wheel and a 2" square edge wheel and I have never found a use for the rounded edge and will never buy another one.
I agree with Don. I too have one square (600 grit) and one round (180 grit), from Woodturners Wonder. I've used the radius edge on a special tool one time.
Wish I'd gone with both square.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
there a benefit in having this radial edge o
They work well for sharpening hollowing tips - push each edge of the tip along the radius edge of the wheel

On my bent tools I sharpen the right edge of the cutter at least 3/8” on the side. Easy to do on a radius wheel. Darn hard on a square wheel

This long edge lets it take a 1/4-3/8” cut during the early hollowing to make a big opening inside.

Last edited:
I picked up a 1-1/2-in wide CBN wheel labeled "Hurricane" - I suspect it's made by a company in China supplying other labels (UF-Sharp for example). Its worked well for me at 180 grit as recommended by most folks. I'm trying to get another wheel but cannot find the 1-1/2 width wheels without some form of radius on edge. Rikon (my grinder) sells 1-1/2 8" wide CBNs but they have 1/4" radius effectively making the wheel a 1" wide. Is there a benefit in having this radial edge or even the 4-1 ones sold by WoodturnersWonders and other outfits? If I am sharpening mostly gouges on a platform and vari-grind jig, is there benefits in the rounded edges?
Raj, plus one for the “mega square” wheels.

There is a company in new Zealand that sells the original CBN wheels I have one and they are not rounded off on the sides . This company was the original along with one in the USA that came up with this system If you want I can hunt out the address for them as I have it stached some where safe.

Thanks I have probably picked which wheel id get, it would be the mega with straight sides from the woodturners store, ken rizza, I believe. Steep about $200 but i guess a lifetime purchase for a non production turner.

Sounds great that is about what my wheel caught then I decided to shout myself a new grinderof better quality than the one I already had the investment was well worth it I have also mounted it all on a 20mm piece of ply so that it is transportable I also made the device need to take the true grind tool

good luck with the hew wheel Cheeers Mike

I originally wanted a radius as they are not so common down here I found it too expensive buy and shipping one from the USA. So ended up with square edges, such is life. But I found was a company called Eternal Tools out of the UK sell CBN burrs

so problem solved

Back