• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Carving the rims of hollow forms

What are some of the methods you guys and girls use to carve the rims of hollow forms? Some pics would also be nice. Looking to carve a maple hollow form that on my lathe now. Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I’ve carved rims mostly with a foredom some with a bandsaw.

I’ve been doing Sand carving. Using glass artist’s methods
I put on a resist blast with course ground glass
Color can be put on before the resist or after the blasting.
Rim of a cherry bowl no color, 3 HF with black background color - cherry seed jar, camphor pot, camphor transparent green before blasting
IMG_2810.jpegIMG_4206.jpegIMG_4660.jpegIMG_5299.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Lots of options. For me (I haven't done much carving) it all boils down to what tools I have. I recently picked up a few Saburrtooth burrs and really like them. I use them in my dremel with a flex shaft. Also like the Japanese finger files I got from Lee Valley.

I don't know if you consider the rim on this cherry vase as carved. I laid out the curves and then cut with a coping saw. Next step was to use a carving bit in my dremel to smooth out the curves. Final step was hand sanding.

Attachments

• Cherry heartwood & sapwood & scalloped rim.jpg
    Cherry heartwood & sapwood & scalloped rim.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back