• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Carter Products Hollow Roller XL Deep Hollowing System

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
$800

A blue metal bar with a white roll  Description automatically generated
The Hollow Roller XL deep hollowing system from Carter Products is a large captive bar system for turning large hollow forms, platters, and bowls.

The bar is completely captive, allowing the artist to focus on the work, and shape of the vessel being turned, rather than the complexity of the hollowing system. This system was aimed at turners who would like to hollow vessels between 12" and 34”.

It incorporates a lubrication-free roller system which eliminates drag on the bar, thus enabling a smoother flowing motion to all tool movements. By doing this, it gives the artist more control and feel while turning the work piece.

The bar is 6 feet long, 1.5” solid steel, and weighs in around 50 lbs. This mass provides stiffness and helps make the cutting efforts smoother. All this greatly aids in reducing the chances of a catch and makes it much easier to make very large thin-walled vessels

This system was originally designed by Brian McEvoy (http://www.onegoodturn.ca), and Carter Products made minor changes after purchasing it.

Included with it are:
A lathe with swings of 18” and greater is recommended.

A yellow and blue machine  Description automatically generated
To give a concept of the size of this system, it is shown to the left installed on a Powermatic 3520B with a Carter Products MultiRest workpiece holding system (lathe and MutiRest are not included).

I purchased this as a new item directly from Carter Products in 2015. It has not been used greatly, and is in great shape.

At the stage I am at in my turning, I no longer want to turn large pieces, so I am looking for this hollowing system to find a welcome home.

I live in Marysville, Ohio, and cannot ship it as it is big and heavy. You will need to pick it up from me. The stand is currently slightly disassembled so that it can lay down flat.

Rich

Back