• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Can this log be turned safely

I had a tree taken down yesterday that was at end of life. I had the trunk cut into several sections. The second two photos show the ends of one of the trunk sections. You can see where the wood has separated around the circumference of the section. There is also a weak area across the middle.

It looks like this piece could make some really nice looking bowls but I’m not sure of the best and safest way to cut blanks given the flaws. The best thing to do seems to be to cut the section on either side of the seam across the middle to eliminate it. What about that separation? I’ve thought of cutting it in 1/2 across the center line and seeing if I could split out a blank along the wood separation to produce two blanks, similar to using a bowl corer.
Any ideas on the best way to handle this?
Thanks,
George
IMG_5294.jpeg
IMG_8614.jpegIMG_8615.jpeg

I recently did a bowl with a blank that had the same type of fissure in the middle. You probably won't be successful at coring it but have a good chance at turning out a unique bowl. I had to do several repairs and fills along the way, but the finished product was worth it.

This was a Red Gum Eucalyptus Burl.

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

Looks like some kind of ornamental cherry? It looks big enough that you would likely get not-too-deep bowl blanks from the area outside the ring separation/shake. It’s a pretty dramatic case. Just be sure as you turn, you watch for other separations. Perhaps use some plastic wrap or otherwise bind the outside as you go until you’re sue it will stay in one piece. As Hughie said, fortify your nerves and stay out of the line of fire.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com

Be cautious be safe

This piiece has serious structural defects that you should work around or fix structurally.
smaller pieces should be ok but do check for defects.
The defect across the center may be hinge tearout from the felling or it might be a bark inclusion.
IMG_1981.jpeg

If you have turned 15-20 sphere you have the opportunity to turn a hollow sphere.
You also need a lathe with a decent tailstock that will hold for between center turning.
This will impress fellow Woodturners.
This is a medium level undertaking but you don’t want to try it unless you have turned lots of spheres.

I cut the blank so the ring shake is in the center and close to straight across. Tailstock pressure will hold it together.
I rough turn a ball with a tenon on each end. Then hollow each half. I use a round disc as a template.
Leave the walls 3/8” thick 1/2 if you are timid.
Glue the two halfs together with epoxy. I sometime put a quarter inside so you get a rattle.
Unless you lose a splinter the glued together ring shake will look like every other growth ring.
Give the epoxy a day then turn the sphere doing the 3 axis rotations.
Remember it’s hollow so don’t take any more than 3/16 off anywhere.
IMG_1983.jpeg

Last edited:
If you have turned 15-20 balls you have the opportunity to turn a hollow ball.
You also need a lathe with a decent tailstock that will hold for between center turning.
This will impress fellow Woodturners.
This is a medium level undertaking but you don’t want to try it unless you have turned lots of balls.
Al, I think (unless I’m way off base here) that George was talking about anatomical balls!

Before I knew better. I had a piece of walnut on the lathe making a vase it was around 8-9 diameter at the time. The defect didn't look near as significant as yours. What happened was it opened up and came around and bent my steel tool rest. Didn't break apart, just opened up. If it had been a cast tool rest it could have broke and caused more concern. Knowing better now I don’t turn anything like that. I have cut the defect away and turned a smaller piece.

Have never turned a sphere so I guess I won’t be doing that.
The center defect is definitely not from felling since it wasn’t…felled (?).
The trunk was only about 5’ high and cut into cookies where it stood.

Probably lots of good wood in there. I would suggest cutting it the way Hockenberry suggested. Avoid the ring shake and you'll probably get some nice blanks. I've had a few trees where I've gotten creative working around ring shake to cut blanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The trunk was only about 5’ high and cut into cookies where it stood.

Do be aware that the ring shake will most likely run the full five feet
You may not be able to see it in all the cookies.

An un seen ring shake is extremely dangerous. You can sometimes have some connected wood as you turn the connecting wood gets cut too thin to hold and the wood separates and goes flying.

Can you turn it, or should you turn it is two different things. I would never turn any part of it with that seperation ring. I'm not sure that is ring shake, looks like a lightning strike to me. Looks like it was damaged on the outside so badly it never could heal. Lightning boils the lignum and it will crack even more as it dries. I had a beautiful hard maple with just brilliant colors caused by a bacterial infection from the lightning damage. I was lucky to get even pen blanks out of it without lots of checking.

Can you turn it, or should you turn it is two different things.

This is exactly right…. I would turn that log all day long. I would take precautions and use lots of epoxy/glue/inserts/tape and anything else necessary.

But I’m a weirdo and in the farthest end of the tiniest minority of turners who ONLY turn junk wood.

Before you think about IF you should turn it, figure out why you would want to? What is the goal? Do you sell pieces? Are you bored with good wood and want a challenge? Is the tree significant in some way to you? Are you trying to make a whole set of bowls/utensils for your own use or as a gift?

If you’re willing to put in the time and energy (and $$) ANYTHING is turnable/salvageable.

I sell my work and I’m lucky to have consistent customers who like what I do. For me, it would be totally worth it, a fun challenge, and a very good money maker.

I had a tree taken down yesterday that was at end of life. I had the trunk cut into several sections. The second two photos show the ends of one of the trunk sections. You can see where the wood has separated around the circumference of the section. There is also a weak area across the middle.

It looks like this piece could make some really nice looking bowls but I’m not sure of the best and safest way to cut blanks given the flaws. The best thing to do seems to be to cut the section on either side of the seam across the middle to eliminate it. What about that separation? I’ve thought of cutting it in 1/2 across the center line and seeing if I could split out a blank along the wood separation to produce two blanks, similar to using a bowl corer.
Thanks,
George
View attachment 66258
View attachment 66256View attachment 66257
I think my attempt would be to cut in this order and hopefully you can cut straighter than I can draw with a mouse.
cut plan.jpeg

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I think my attempt would be to cut in this order and hopefully you can cut straighter than I can draw with a mouse.
A reasonable start, but just to be clear, there's still danger areas in the blanks that makes.
The red is definitely dangerous, which is probably obvious since it's already coming apart. Needs to be cut away before turning. I've marked a couple other spots in yellow that also look suspicious to me. Might just be marks from the saw or something, but could be other ring shake evidence. If so, that entire growth ring all around the tree is likely compromised.

Untitled.png
One strategy (that helps but is not fool-proof) is to take each blank before it goes on the lathe, and throw it down hard onto a concrete floor (driveway etc) a few times. If it comes apart, that's a clue. But also listen to hear if it sounds solid or not.

Well, for me, I would not put it on a lathe at all. I do make bowls intended for daily use though. Ring shake, big danger. Bark inclusion, big danger. Dave's lay out up above would work for smaller bowls. Probably similar for spheres.

robo hippy

The lathe is a Nova 1624-44. I have both carbide tools and traditional bowl gouges, scrappers etc. As for my balls, the older I get the closer they get to pewter rather than steel. Oh, just realized you said nerves not balls. Nerve-wise, the older I get the less of them work.
I know the feeling!

Before I knew better. I had a piece of walnut on the lathe making a vase it was around 8-9 diameter at the time. The defect didn't look near as significant as yours. What happened was it opened up and came around and bent my steel tool rest. Didn't break apart, just opened up. If it had been a cast tool rest it could have broke and caused more concern. Knowing better now I don’t turn anything like that. I have cut the defect away and turned a smaller piece.
I do the same - better safe than sorry!

To make objects out of questionable wood those of us who use CNC machines don't have problems. The wood can be stationary on the machine table with the tool moving respect to wood.

Life is too short to turn crappy wood. JJ

Remember this stuff literally grows on trees. If you want to make bowls find different wood. If you must turn this wood cut out the defects but my guess is what is left will be pretty small.

Walt

Back