• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Camphor bowl - recommendations requested

Have a beautiful piece of camphor on my lathe. Would like to create a "angled bowl" as finished product - that is - bowl sits flat like normal but rim is angles so can see inside of bowl without peering down into it. Picts of current status and desired final shape attached.

Have thought of:

1. Cutting foot at angle then using glue block at opposite angle so can still turn round.

2. Cutting rim at angle before turning inside - doubt this will work due to inherent wobble cause of weight differences

3. Doing same as 1 but at rim/top then knocking off angled piece after turning. Have discounted this one as well due to concerns about breaking rim when try to part the two pieces and potential of joint breaking during turning.

4. Making bowl as normally would, then cutting rim at angle - most likely by making line for cut then using dremel. Considered bandsaw but concerned about safety and blowing up nearly finished bowl

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_4353.jpeg
    IMG_4353.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4354.jpeg
    IMG_4354.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4355.jpeg
    IMG_4355.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4356.jpeg
    IMG_4356.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 39

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I think your 4th method is the way to go. The 1st would give you balance issues. The 2nd would be okay, but the turning would be more challenging.

I suspect the bandsaw would be safe enough if you made a sled and used something like hot melt glue to keep the bowl stable. Dremel method would work well. Pro-tip, if you need a straight line, dunk the bowl, rim-side-down into some sort of liquid and then cut along the line. Or use some other guide. Clean-up the rim edge with a sanding disc or a piece of sandpaper attached to a flat surface. Most importantly, post a photo your final bowl to the gallery šŸ˜Š

Thanks everyone. Pictures in current form attached. Just off the lathe and ready for sanding.

I have decided to forgo the angling of the bowl. First - to my eye it looks a little too short and I am concerned about the final appearance with the angle. I might end up building a stand that will allow it to be displayed at an angle. Second - the boss said she loved it just the way it is and since this is an anniversary gift I figured I had better listen šŸ˜Š

I will definitely be archiving your replies for future reference so thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_4367.jpeg
    IMG_4367.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4364.jpeg
    IMG_4364.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4365.jpeg
    IMG_4365.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 20
Don, good call on stopping where you did I think it looks great. And an excellent call in listening to "the boss" - you may even score one point for doing so!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
have decided to forgo the angling of the bowl. First - to my eye it looks a little too short and I am concerned about the final appearance with the angle. I might end up building a stand that will allow it to be displayed at an angle.

When you tackle the angled rim in the future, Consider using the John beaver technique
He uses a sled that a chuck screws onto.
A safe effective way to cut a straight or a curve through a bowl.

A gentle curve might add to the design.

You wonā€™t want to make just one.

Also Iā€™d probably cut the rim off before hollowing and glue it back on with a paper joint, hot melt glue.
This way the rim edges will be sharp.

Also a wet turn bowl that will warp is another design feature.

saw another option on a YouTube though might be a bit hazardousā€”angling the tenon in the chuck so the bowl spins a bit lopsided . . . anyone do that or is it risky?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
saw another option on a YouTube though might be a bit hazardousā€”angling the tenon in the chuck so the bowl spins a bit lopsided . . . anyone do that or is it risky?
You can mount the blank at an angle between centers and the turning is like an off centered NE bowl
A lot of interrupted cuts. Takes a lot of skill to pull this off on a 12ā€ blank. Easier on a 9ā€ blank.
Itā€™s One of those turnings where a near beginner might hollow a 5ā€ diameter piece chucked at an angle and be hopelessly outmatched by an 8ā€ diameter piece.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Are you aware of the toxicity of camphor?
Camphor is about the same toxicity as walnut.

Camphor oil is quite toxic.
Camphor wood rarely bothers turners.

The wood itself is like other woods and some people can get allergic reactions to it.
A lot of people avoid it because of the smell.

Camphor is turned by lots of folks throughout Florida where it grows as an invasive.
Itā€™s one of my favorite woods to turn. Itā€™s not unusual for 1/3-1/2 of a club instant gallery to be camphor pieces.

I have never had a problem turning camphor. It rare to hear of anyone having an adverse reaction to camphor beyond disliking the smell.

Camphor oil made by pressing the wood may be fatal of swallowed.

Checkout the wood toxicity database

Have a beautiful piece of camphor on my lathe. Would like to create a "angled bowl" as finished product - that is - bowl sits flat like normal but rim is angles so can see inside of bowl without peering down into it. Picts of current status and desired final shape attached.

Have thought of:

1. Cutting foot at angle then using glue block at opposite angle so can still turn round.

2. Cutting rim at angle before turning inside - doubt this will work due to inherent wobble cause of weight differences

3. Doing same as 1 but at rim/top then knocking off angled piece after turning. Have discounted this one as well due to concerns about breaking rim when try to part the two pieces and potential of joint breaking during turning.

4. Making bowl as normally would, then cutting rim at angle - most likely by making line for cut then using dremel. Considered bandsaw but concerned about safety and blowing up nearly finished bowl

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Don
I made a 4 or 5 inch angled bowl once using this method:
The wood blank itself was wedge shaped. I designated one surface to be the top with the turning axis perpendicular. I secured the blank top down in the drill press and used a Forstner to drill a recess just deep enough to mount the blank on long nose jaws no dovetail). I used this mount to turn inside and outside surfaces, but one could start on a screw chuck in the top then shape the outside and bore the recess on the lathe.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
A good reference is a Tom Crabb article in the summer 2001 American Woodturner.
Tom is a superb turner. Who had extensive experience with turning natural edge. Article attached to comment.

Attachments

• AW1602p18-20.pdf
    438.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back