• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

?camera

I'm thinking of purchasing a new camera and with so many out there it gets a little confusing, so maybe some of you could tell me what camera you use to take pics of your turnings. As always I could use all the help I can get.

It will be interesting to see where this goes, this is a wide open question. Personally I think it boils down to money, more feature = more $$$$. That is why there is such a variation in prices. Personally I have had several different high-end Sony's that I use at work that double duty at home, and love them. But they are high end and I would never spend that much for a home/shop camera probably. I'm loking forward to seeing what advice you get! :)

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
I use an older Canon Digital Elph - 3.3 megapixels I think. If you are taking pics just to post to a website - this is WAY overkill - the default pixels per inch on most monitors is either 72 or 96 dpi. This size will also easily print 8x10 shots. I keep seeing the fancy new ones but have been more than happy with this camera so have talked myself out of getting a new one until this one dies.

Now if you want to take huge high res shots or macros or other 'pro' type shots - get a good digital SLR.

Steves digicam website has good info regarding this topic and has product reviews. http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Good luck with your search.

Cheers!

Careful! Cameras are a slippery slope too. As stated, the now incredibly inexpensive 3 megapixel varieties with a close-focusing (macro) capability will do all you want for posting to the net. I'd disagree and say a 5x7 is the upper limit on prints, but if you're Budddist or Navajo you might appreciate larger.

Then there is the problem of "processing," where I recently had a very expensive lesson. The greater the number of points to process, the tougher it gets on your CPU. My 800MHz 512RAM box gagged, choked, and sometimes stopped altogether running Photoshop on the 6.0 megapixels from my new camera, forcing :D me to purchase this 3 GHz 1gigabyte machine.

The simple stuff sufficing for the 'net, it's the other things that will determine what you buy. Some focus incredibly slowly and lag between shots. Not a good purchase if you're going to use it as a candid camera. Then there's the one I own, which will take 640x480 30fps moving pictures of the grandkids, with each frame capable of a 4x5 still for the desk. Seems a better idea every time the baby does something new.

Obviously a quality camera can take lousy pictures, while a competent photographer only needs a simple one. Look at my stuff for confirmation.

JWW

ryan34 said:
I'm thinking of purchasing a new camera and with so many out there it gets a little confusing, so maybe some of you could tell me what camera you use to take pics of your turnings. As always I could use all the help I can get.

Good luck! I too have been looking for a new camera to replace my Nikon 35mm. The more I looked the more I knew that I had to educate myself on exactly what the ads were trying to tell me. After several days of reading I finally got a grip on the basics.

I agree with what these guys have said and my search continues. There are many good forums out there where you can read people's experiences with various models. Beware of websites that offer reviews, if you read a few of them it becomes clear that they have an agenda and that is to not make their advertisers mad. There are a few that seem unbiased but not very many.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
JWW said:
Good luck! I too have been looking for a new camera to replace my Nikon 35mm. The more I looked the more I knew that I had to educate myself on exactly what the ads were trying to tell me. After several days of reading I finally got a grip on the basics.

JWW:

If you already have a 35mm Nikon system, I would encourage you to consider the Nikon D50, or, better, the improved D70s digital body. Although somewhat expensive, it is well worth the investment. I got the D70s body, and am EXTREMELY happy that I can use all of my Nikon "D" lenses with this digital back, which has proven to be very versatile and has met all of of my photographic needs from shooting sports activities of my kids, to macro photographs of flowers and plants, to the bowls and vessels I turn. I use a Nikon 24-120 mm 'D' lens, or my 70-180 mm Macro for shooting my turned pieces under 'studio' conditions, and the results are excellent. (I'm still working on getting my gallery up again on my web page, or I'd show you - for now you'll have to take my word!). [I just have to keep practicing and learning about studio lighting!]

If you are used to shooting film, using a "film-like" digital back with your present lens(es) will be a fairly seamless transition. The Nikon Digital SLR systems give you digital capability with a much better ability to control focus (including manual adjustment), various aspects of exposure (e.g. shutter or aperture priority, or full manual over-ride), and lots of image storage ability (hundreds of images, depending on resolution). Many of the functional constraints of the smaller (but perhaps more "pocket convenient") digital cameras, such as full time autofocus [no ability to focus manually], inability to change shutter speed or aperture, limited viewfinder, auto-flash, etc. are fully adjustable with a digital back, enabling the photographer greater flexibility to adapt to the exposure and image composition to obtain optimal effects.

I hope John Lucas weighs-in on this thread, since he's one of our 'photo gurus' who already has more photographic experience than most people will have in a lifetime. Photography is not my day job, but it is his.....

Rob Wallace

Website
www.aoturnings.com
Go here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

I personally use Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmcfz5.asp
and at around $300.00-$400, I think it is a great camera.

Here are recent sample pictures taken with it.

Honduran Rosewood burl
http://www.penturners.org/forum/albums/dario/P1030573c.jpg

Hawaiian Dark Koa
http://www.penturners.org/forum/albums/dario/P1030575a.jpg

Australian Red Mallee Pen
http://www.penturners.org/forum/albums/dario/P1030582a.jpg

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I look at a lot of cameras and I like all of the Panasonic Lumix models. You get more for your money on those cameras than just about any other. I also like the Canon point and shoot. For slr's with enterchangeable lenses I like the new Nikon D40 a lot. If you happen to have older Nikon lenses go with the D80, it will accept all but the earliest Nikon lenses.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
john lucas said:
I look at a lot of cameras and I like all of the Panasonic Lumix models. You get more for your money on those cameras than just about any other. I also like the Canon point and shoot. For slr's with enterchangeable lenses I like the new Nikon D40 a lot. If you happen to have older Nikon lenses go with the D80, it will accept all but the earliest Nikon lenses.

That's the problem with the D40/D40X (which is one heck of a camera), they can't use lots of the lenses

I had Cannon, so we went with the 20D and the 350 (one for me, one for the DW)

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Being a camera nut for years, I would say that for shooting your turnings, almost any of the point and shoots in the 5MP range, and capable of manual focus and the ability to manually adjust the white balance, will work fine.

That said, it depends on features and budget. If you plan to get a light tent setup and lights, the white balance and manual focus are important.

As for SLRs, most of us are loyal to a family (me, Pentax), because we have lenses for years and want to continue to use them.

But, you will also now want to look at tripods,tents, lights, backdrops, diffusers, umbrellas, tables, lenses, software, RAM, hard drives, CPUs....

Yeah, vortex.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
I used a Nikon FM and FM2 for years, and moved to Nikon digital gradually as funding allowed. Last year I bought a Coolpix 8800 which is their top-o-the-line point and shoot, and it does a great job. But this year, I was able to procure the needed funds for a D80. :cool2: It is much more versatile in many ways, although I like being able to use the LCD screen on the Coolpix when setting up a shot of turnings.

My older Nikkor lenses will work on the D80, but some functions are not available, like TTL metering. If you are used to shooting in full manual, that should not be a problem. Why, I could even dig out my old Gossen Luna Pro meter and dust it off if I wanted to go that route! But then, I learned to calculate exposures using the paper that came in the box with the film.

Good luck with your search!

Bill

JWW

Rob Wallace said:
JWW:

If you already have a 35mm Nikon system, I would encourage you to consider the Nikon D50, or, better, the improved D70s digital body. Although somewhat expensive, it is well worth the investment.

Rob,
You bring up some very good points. My camera and lenses are the "EM" series which was Nikon's "entry level" camera some 20+ years ago. I am still trying to figure out for sure which Nikon dslrs that these lenses will fit on and work. I've given up on the forums because it just depends on what day it is as to what answer I will get. Some of those people that post just want to show off their knowledge and usually end up arguing among their selves.

It is rather comical and I'm enjoying the search because I'm in no rush.

The D70s are getting in short supply it seems and the D50's even more so. I had better make my mind up soon.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
JW As far as I know the Nikon d80, d200 and D2 will accept most of the old lenses and work in some modes. All will meter in one mode or another. The lenses will fit on the other Nikons and Fuji but won't meter and in some cases won't even let you take a photo. They won't work at all on the D40. As a long time Nikon user I've been watching this development and saving my money. I hope to get a D80 in the near future. I use D200's and D2's every day at work and have used many of my old gadgets and lenses on these cameras.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
JWW:

I'll just say I'm very happy with the D70s which I've had for over a year. I couldn't justify the $900 for a D80 body (even though I have over $ 2,400 in "D" lenses) and the D100 and D2 were out of the que$tion. I'm happy I "bumped up" from my original intention of buying a D50, given the significant number of improved functions that the D70s has.

Check the specs for a D70s here: http://www.adorama.com/INKD70SR.html

I just checked the D70s User's Manual (page 183) and in the lens compatibility table there it reads, under non-CPU lenses, "AI, AI-S, or Series E Nikkor" lenses are compatible, and will function in the manual focus, and manual exposure setting modes. I can't tell whether the camera light meter function will work with the EM lenses, and you might check on this function with a salesperson. Thus, you won't get all of the features of the camera with the EM lenses, but if you have several of the EM lenses you immediately have some lens versatility. If you get a new body/lens package you will have a good digital system that can also use the lens(es) you already own. Steve W. is correct that people tend to stick to "brand" systems, and I switched to Nikon after about 15 years (Late 70's to mid-90's) of being a "Canon" guy. I am now happy to be well-invested in this Nikon camera system.

Good luck!

Rob

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
JWW said:
Rob,
I've given up on the forums because it just depends on what day it is as to what answer I will get. Some of those people that post just want to show off their knowledge and usually end up arguing among their selves.

How about it!?! The Nikon Cafe forum, while it has been of some help for me, is infested with people who will denigrate anything but the latest and greatest. I got a great deal on a 70-300mm lens used, but when I asked some questions about it, was told that it would not take good pictures because it did not have the vibration reduction feature. :eek: I posted a few hand held shots at slow shutter speeds of close up subjects, and one guy still wouldn't let it go. He replied that I would see sharpness problems when I did landscapes and other far off subjects. :confused:

Bill

JWW

ryan34 said:

Ryan I apologize for hijacking your post. I got a little carried away.

Bill, John, Rob and n7bsn, Thank you for the great information! I have learned more here than anywhere else. I should have run this by you all in the beginning.
Ryan good luck with your hunt!

Bill Grumbine said:
I used a Nikon FM and FM2 for years, and moved to Nikon digital gradually as funding allowed. Last year I bought a Coolpix 8800 which is their top-o-the-line point and shoot, and it does a great job. But this year, I was able to procure the needed funds for a D80. :cool2: It is much more versatile in many ways, although I like being able to use the LCD screen on the Coolpix when setting up a shot of turnings.

My older Nikkor lenses will work on the D80, but some functions are not available, like TTL metering. If you are used to shooting in full manual, that should not be a problem. Why, I could even dig out my old Gossen Luna Pro meter and dust it off if I wanted to go that route! But then, I learned to calculate exposures using the paper that came in the box with the film.

Good luck with your search!

Bill

Thanks for all the input, it looks like everyone is using $$$ cameras. I'm looking for someting a little more in the point and shoot catagory, I'll wait to get an slr model.

If you have a price range in mind, you might want to look at dpreview.com or cnet.com for their favorite cameras. I know dpreview compares cameras so you can see which one meets your needs. Both sites also list the prices from various retailers.
Tom.

Buying a camera

Consumers Reports July issue has the cover story on these. Should be on the news stands soon. I just got the subscription copy.

My recommendations: 3 - 5 megapixels. Make sure you have the ability to take close up photos. Pick your camera.

John :)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Even in the less expensive point and shoot range I would take a serious look at the Panasonic Lumix models. A Client was showing me macro shots of butterflies that she's been shooting with a $200 Lumix (model unknow) and they were incredible. Every Panasonic I've played with has impressed the heck out me. If I wasn't so stuck on being able to use some of my old lenses I would buy one myself.

Back