• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CA problem

I just finished a new vessel and when I glued the stem and vessel together the glue set up before I could get it aligned. Now its leaning and I was thinking maybe I could use solvent to release the bond and then give it another shot. Has anyone ever used solvent to "break" the bond or would I just be wasting my time.

CA Debonder

ryan34 said:
I just finished a new vessel and when I glued the stem and vessel together the glue set up before I could get it aligned. Now its leaning and I was thinking maybe I could use solvent to release the bond and then give it another shot. Has anyone ever used solvent to "break" the bond or would I just be wasting my time.

Easy to do. The preferred solvent is nitromethane (right - funnycar fuel). Available from most every on-line glue seller as "debonder." I keep a bottle of the stuff handy in case I get too attached to my work.

Others have suggested acetone, but I find it too slow-acting ;)

mm

If it's a dark wood and you have a heat gun, you can break it that way. I think the melting point for CA is up around 250 so, if you take your time, you can probably get it loose without damaging the piece. Microwave might work too, though that's a bit riskier.

Dietrich

Ryan,
I have had this problem on several occasions. The debonder is the way to here. Applying heat really isn't the best method because you can damage the piece.
I always keep the debonder within arms length when using CA. I've glued myself to just about everything in sight at one time or another.

Website
www.stickfast.net
DeBonder

Mark Mandell said:
Easy to do. The preferred solvent is nitromethane (right - funnycar fuel). Available from most every on-line glue seller as "debonder." I keep a bottle of the stuff handy in case I get too attached to my work.

Others have suggested acetone, but I find it too slow-acting ;)

mm

Mark is right "DeBonder" is your best chance at DeBonding your product. Nitromethane is the preferred solvent carrier (and is very flammable) plus there are also some other proprietary chemicals in it. DeBonder actually turns CA into a non-adhesive... so do not use this or any other solvent to try to "thin" the CA - it will just make it a non-adhesive or contaminate it.

DeBonder will even soften and DeBond fully cured CA with repeated applications. The problem you may have is getting the DeBonder on the cured CA.

Like Mark also said acetone might work slowly - but most likely will only work on CA that has just cured.

You can even use DeBonder to clean CA from glasses. Be ready for it not to work though but it is better than throwing them away.

DeBonder is always a good thing to have on hand in an emergency...
By the way... do not use it on eyes, mouth, nose, ears,.... I think you get the idea...

John :cool2:

Back