• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CA Glue Storage

Recently I watched a video by a well-known professional woodturner who indicated that, for over a decade (at the making of the video), he stores his CA glue without the cap that the bottle is sold with and just stores it uncovered in the original bottle. Further he stated that CA glue cures from the absence of air and that the CA glue shelf life storing it this way is a very long time. I am not saying he is wrong. What do others do to extend the life of CA glue once opened?

I have used Bloxogen (canned inert gas) after each use and that has seemed to significantly extend the life of the CA glue as it does with finishes in can after opened. That would seem ti indicate that the lack of air is a factor since that is exactly what Bloxogen does; pushes the air out and replaces it with whatever the inert gas is in the Bloxogen can.

I know others refrigerate CA glue but I haven't found that to extend its life very much.

Any feedback? I'd like to hear what really works, as Bloxogen is an expense I'd like to eliminate as I don't use it for anything else.

I have been buying Parfix 3408 super thin CA in 16oz bottles, but then pour that into a 2oz bottle as needed. It’s moisture that can activate CA glue so leaving it uncapped is just asking for trouble especially if the temperature in your shop charges much or you live in an area with a lot of moisture.

I do keep the unused portion of my 16oz container in the fridge. Can’t say the fridge is helping much, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt any.

Ditto what Karl does.
On my thin CA bottle use a micro tip. That does not need to be capped. If it clogs I just cut the tip back a little. Not sure about leaving a big opening, I have had CA go rock hard in the bottle.

I buy the multipacks of little 0.1 oz tubes from harbor freight. If one does happen to harden then it is only a small loss. I'm not a super active turner though so I don't use it that often.

Website
www.stevebonny.com
I think the cap should be on! Also note the "don't refrigerate after open" comment due to possible condensation. From gluboost -

The bottle that the CA is packaged in is a vital link to the shelf life of CA. Gear Up Products’ chemists have tested many different HDPE resins and there are only a handful that can properly store CA and isolate the liquid inside from the moisture in the air. The cap or closure is also very important to sealing out the water vapors that exist in the air we breathe. The Gear Up bottle uses proprietary resins in the molding of the bottle and has a highly engineered triple seal closure to keep moisture out and the product fresh.

The handling of the product, once opened, is also very important to the life span of the product. Always keep the cap on when not in use, keep the nozzle clean from excess glue and contaminants, keep the CA bottle away from accelerators, and store the sealed bottle in a cool dry place and never in direct sunlight. Also, be sure to allow the glue to go back down the nozzle before recapping. Tapping the tube assists greatly with this. Storing CA in the refrigerator, in an unopened container, will keep the product fresh for a long time. Do not freeze CA, as 40˚ F is an ideal temperature for optimal storage. Once you initially open the bottle, do not put the bottle back into the refrigerator as this will introduce condensation to the inside of the bottle and dispensing tube. This will then cause a reaction with the CA, and it will actually start to set up and compromise your entire bottle.

I no longer use CA -- I can't tolerate its fumes and don't like how it goes brittle in time (and can glue your fingers to all manner of things). When I did use it, however, I had all sorts of problems with the opening being clogged up when I removed the cap. After seeing the advice to leave the cap off -- which seemed seemed counterintuitive -- I tried it. The opening never clogged up, the glue remained liquid and worked. I would recommend the 'never cap', but perhaps only with small openings. I'm in Kentucky, but have a basement shop so humidity and temperature variation is not a real problem. No cap certainly worked for me.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I leave mine uncapped and sitting on the shelf. I try to get the glue out of the nozzle after I use it (micro tip on the thin, regular tip on medium), usually just banging the bottle works, but if not I loosen the lid, squeeze the bottle, tighten the lid and let the bottle suck the CA down out of the nozzle. If I forget or don't get it right and can't clean the nozzle or cut it back, I just grab a clean nozzle and replace it.
Don't use much cause I don't like it - certainly don't like how it gets everywhere no matter how careful I am. And I usually don't trust it to stand the test of time (could be wrong about that, but that's just me). I take a couple years to go thru a 2oz bottle - yep, just looked up my last order: Feb 2021.

Haven't tried leaving the top off. Don't think it would work in this humid area. I am cursed with the caps always getting stuck to the tip. I've been putting a few drops of real light oil on the tip and rim and that solves that problem. I used to leave my supply in the shop in the winter. That caused problems with it hardening in the bottle, so only the bottle in use is left in the shop now. I like buying the little tubes at the dollar store for general shop use, then use a good quality CA for filling cracks on wood for the lathe.

I used to get my CA in 2 oz bottles I picked up at Lee Valley store in London, but then we moved so I got larger bottles of thick and thin CA 8oz, plus accelerator from William Woodwrite, my last delivery was in May 2020.

I have always left my CA with the cap off in a metal cabinet with sandpaper and other stuff, after use I will tap the bottle to get any CA in the spout down, with the micro tip on I will just squeeze the bottle and wipe the end clean.

So now with the larger container I will fill the 2oz bottles (new and clean) and keep the large container in the fridge, it takes just 10-15 seconds to fill a small bottle and there wil not get any condensation in that short time.

Oh and I have used CA more than 20 years like this, heard all the stories of CA getting bad etc., well I never have had any of these things happen, and we have at least a couple bowls we use daily that had CA applied on it, no problem.

This Apple bowl is our bread bowl we use every day since 2001, there are no splits opened up and it is still as solid as any Applewood bowl even if it has been dropped a time or two :oops:Daily breadbowl Apple.jpg
Apple bowl daily used.jpgDaily use bread bowl since 2001.jpg

Last edited:
I leave my bottle in use, poured from a pint in the frig, open . I do use the micro tip and just change it if it clogs. Thick glues don't last as long . I fill my 2 oz bottle every 3-4 months. I think the pint was purchased last year. I don't use as much as i once did.

CA glue requires water and an base such as ammonia or an amine (organic base) to cure. In a pinch one can use windex glass cleaner as an accelerant. If the glue is left exposed to humid air it will set up. The air in a refrigerator is very dry so that is good. A low temp. will slow down all chemical reactions and that is also good.

I too have thickening of the medium and thicker CAs when left out The thin glues hold up well and I also keep the long thin spout tops on them.
Pat

Interesting to see that the professional's experience doesn't carry much weight. Seems pretty common with internet professionals who know more. I'm fairly certain the expert in question has work in the White House collection. That I respect, and I keep my CA just like he did since I took classes with one of the best.

Interesting to see that the professional's experience doesn't carry much weight. Seems pretty common with internet professionals who know more. I'm fairly certain the expert in question has work in the White House collection. That I respect, and I keep my CA just like he did since I took classes with one of the best.
Perhaps you could be so kind as to detail the methods of “ one of the best” for the rest of us. That would be helpful.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I've tried storing it with the cap off, despite careful cleaning the tips clog up anyway. Likewise with microtips-- a clog at the skinny end is easy, but then they clog where the microtip joins the main bottle tip. Sometimes I can pry the microtip off without breaking the main cap sometimes not. I'm resigned to buying lots of exorbitantly priced bottle caps. When I'm being patient I take the old caps off and put them in a jug of acetone for a few days or a week, which dissolves the clogs.

Mostly I just keep thinking there must be a better way to deal with this stuff! One of my resolutions this year is to immediately pitch objects with cracks in them rather than screwing around trying to save them. I anticipate this will save many sorts of frustration if I can manage to stick to it, including way fewer opportunities to interact with CA. I need to just keep repeating "It's only firewood!".

I've stored unopened bottles of CA in the freezer for many years with no ill effect. (got a screaming deal on CA at some point and had to think what to do with 30 bottles of it)

For several years I've been using CA glues by GluBoost. In general, I'd say they last longer that other brands of CA glue, but I think they are also more expensive, so it might be a wash.

About 3 years ago, an employee I know at the Woodcraft store I go to told me he uses Bloxygen, a compressed inert gas that is sold to help keep finishes in their original cans longer. It works by pushing the air out of the can and replacing it with a heavier than air inert gas which is intended to slow the curing process. I've never found it to work well with finishes (stop loss bags work better). However, the Woodcraft employee said that he sprays the Bloxygen into the CA glue container before putting the cap back on which extends the life of the CA glue in the bottle.

Since I've been doing this, my GluBoost CA's have lasted much longer; one bottle lasting a couple of years; unheard of before for me.

The problem is that Bloxygen is somewhat expensive ($9 a can the last time I bought it) but it lasts a long time. I've never determined whether the Bloxygen is worth the price or throwing the CA glue away more often is more cost efficient. It does seem to work though. I've also never tried it with other CA glue brands.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Bloxygen is argon. If you use it a lot a welding cylinder will last you a very long time for a much lower cost per use. I've been thinking about buying a welder just to justify it. (well and to have fun with another way of sticking things together). You can also use nitrogen but then you really have to flood the container as it's not enough denser than air to settle in the can (air being 80% nitrogen already)

I have a kit of Stick Fast CA glue (thin, medium, thick, plus various tips) in a plastic screw-top tub with a desiccant pack. The principle explained for this is that the desiccant reduces the moisture which is part of the curing process, as others have mentioned upthread. Judging by how long I've had it, it's worked *far* better to preserve the glue life than any previous CA glue I've had. IMO, it's less hassle than trying to keep it in the fridge (unless you happen to have one in your shop!)

On the other hand, it's clear I let the desiccant "get full" a little while back and that's starting to affect the glue. Lesson learned: I should have gotten a second desiccant pack so I could dry it in the oven and swap the packs periodically.

The only hesitation I have with storing it in the refrigerator after opening is that taking it out to use it, then putting it back in to store it is likely to cause condesation because of the temperature changes. That clearly won't help its longevity. However, whatever works for each is the way to do it I guess.

The only hesitation I have with storing it in the refrigerator after opening is that taking it out to use it, then putting it back in to store it is likely to cause condesation because of the temperature changes. That clearly won't help its longevity. However, whatever works for each is the way to do it I guess.
Randy I keep only the larger container in the fridge, and only take it out to fill the small 2oz bottle, and that takes only a few seconds, setting the larger container back into the fridge right away, no condensation will develop in those few seconds.

My large containers are from May 11 2020 and the CA is still fine, almost empty, so I will have to order new ones soon 1thumb.gif

I have a little refrigerator near my lathe so I store the CA in there without any cover on the applicator tip, the current 8oz bottle is probably about 2 years old and still as good as new. I have never had a problem with condensation even during the high humidity days of summer and I had never heard of it being a problem.

I use starbond. I've been storing it in the fridge for the past 5 years. Some with lids. Others not. No issue with it going solid in the bottles. Lids stuck yes, but stuff in the bottle has always be OK. I have some thick that is 3 years old; still OK. I recently bought a large bottle of medium thick. Starbond stated it was guaranteed for 3 years if stored in the fridge. I presume they mean in the original bottle. I think the fridge helps create a controlled low-humidity environment.

From what I'm reading here there's no need to over think it. It seems to have an acceptable shelf life under most conditions. I certainly wouldn't go to the expense and trouble of using bloxogen.

I use about 40 .1oz HFT CA tubes per yr, using some nearly every day. I do store vertically with the lid lightly tightened. At $3 per 10pk it is easy for someone even as cheap as me to pitch 15 cents worth if it sets up in the tube. I find some of the most interesting wood is riddled with knots and stressed grain, usually accompanied with small splits, insect holes, and bark inclusions. CA with shavings / sawdust rubbed in works wonders for me. I have only been at this 7 years, but have seen no evidence of degradation with time , moisture or UV exposure. Your mileage may vary.

Storage wouldn’t be much of an issue for me if I used CA glue everyday but I really only use it once in awhile. I don’t like having to use it to repair and strengthen a piece on the lathe unless it’s a very special piece and I don’t use it much in other woodworking either. The answers to my post have been a lesson that there does not appear to be any single method that works the best. I would never store GluBoost in the refrigerator after opening, example, because the company’s directions specifically say not to. Seems the refrigerator works for some. It’s never worked for me.

Just one more addition … one of the reasons the refrigerator might not work so well is that the ideal temp should not be below 40 degrees. In general refrigerators default to about 37 degrees.

Back