• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Buffalo Horn

Has anyone turned Buffalo Horn (ie for a pen)? If so, do you have any hints, recommendations, warnings? The thing I am most unsure about is wat kind of sanding and finishing I might need or would work.

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
Fustoff, get used to the smell.It turns like a dream, but is awfully 'stringy' which requires lots of clearing of the workpiece. You will understand as soon as you start. I sand mine thru the grits, then bring on the Micro-mesh to about 2400 or higher. There is a plastic polishing compound on the market for acrylics but works really well on this. Topped of with carnauba or Renaissance wax and you have a real beauty. Good conversation piece at the shows. Gave one to my knee replacememt dr., he was born in India,and he was elated .Need I say more?

thanks

Good. I will keep this all in mind...... is this true for other horns (deer, etc) should I pursue others pending on how this buffalo turns out?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I haven't turned bufaloe horn but have turned several different types of horn, antler and bone. They all smell bad and all polish up to a very high polish. They do turn differently buy I haven't any problems with them.

Back