• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bringing a roughed bowl to round, and knowing when to stop.....photos

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Using a Prismacolor Ebony soft black pencil:
20240219f_234920.jpg
To bring a roughed bowl to round after seasoning, start by
covering the entire surface at a slow rpm like so:
20240219_234517.jpg
This photo shows the last bit of pencil marks on the rim, when
the surface has almost been completely brought back to round.
You can feel it with your tool. Stop the lathe, and verify your
progress visually like this:
20240219_234311.jpg

-o-

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I like that idea of marking the entire surface, especially if removing the absolute minimal amount of material. Similar to pencil marks prior to sanding. I’m not sure what you’re trying to show with the last photo though. I just started drinking my coffee, so I might be a bit slow ;)

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I’m not sure what you’re trying to show with the last photo though.

Hi Michael......it's just to show the last bit of pencil marks on this surface prior to bringing it to round. The photo is just to show that you're "almost" there, and can stop removing material. Yes, you are correct in that this is a method to bring a roughed bowl to round, while removing as little material as possible.

-o-

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Oohhh okay, I see the faint marks on the rim. I was still looking at the interior. See, told you I was running a bit slow still haha.

I’ve read and been told to leave a rough bowl about 10% of the diameter—1 inch for a 10 inch bowl. When I remount to finish the bowl, I then need to take a fair amount of material off—so the pencil won’t help, right? That’s only when you are down to needing just a bit more removed or am I misreading the advice?

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I’ve read and been told to leave a rough bowl about 10% of the diameter—1 inch for a 10 inch bowl. When I remount to finish the bowl, I then need to take a fair amount of material off—so the pencil won’t help, right? That’s only when you are down to needing just a bit more removed or am I misreading the advice?
Oh No, you're misreading... I use the pencil first as soon as I have the tenon trued up and mounted in chuck - Some woods, it is really easy to not see where you're still out of round - even by feel or the gouge cuts , you can still have some spots where the cutting edge may be just barely kissing the surface and not cutting, but then you go to sand the bowl and you find you can't get some spots sanded down because they're low spots, so you need to do another cut or two (or three) and if you assumed your bowl was true round and went to finish the inside, it may then be so thin that making a good outside cut is gonna be extra difficult due to the wood flexing - So I'll do as Odie describes and roll bowl by hand and make sure I have pencil ALL the way around every surface on the outside, then I'll true it up and it's quick to see right away whether or not you got the bowl true round on the outside. - The parts where it is still out of round are gonna have pencil marks still, (and on dark woods, use a contrasting color pencil) so you'll be able to see right away and no guessing - once you have all the pencil/color turned away you know your outside is as true round as you're gonna get.

Back