• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to David Bartell for "Critter Serioes #3" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 23, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Boxwood demo box

Website
www.turnlincs.com
This latest box of mine is one I made at a recent demonstration for the West Suffolk Woodturning Club. It is made from Boxwood and is 65mm tall and 48mm in diameter. The basket weave pattern is 3mm wide and made using an 18 bump rosette. The top is decorated with an Arch 7 rosette and has a red CZ stone in the centre. The underside of the lid was decorated using a flower rosette. It is finished with gloss lacquer. It will be prize in the club raffle.

IMG_3542.JPGIMG_3541.JPGIMG_3543.JPG

Nice work!

I can't find boxwood here. Some friends made a deal and had some shipped to the US and gave me a couple of pieces but they were small. Wonderfully hard and fine grained.

Website
www.turnlincs.com
Nice work!

I can't find boxwood here. Some friends made a deal and had some shipped to the US and gave me a couple of pieces but they were small. Wonderfully hard and fine grained.
John

Boxwood is very slow growing so as a result available pieces are often much smaller than as turners we are used to getting. I am lucky in that I inherited some from a friends estate and have managed to buy some larger pieces too. It is not that easy to come by even in the UK.

Back