• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Box Eler/Walnut HF on Pedestal

This piece is not finished as of yet.....still have some sanding and some final coats of WOP to put on it. All the accents are Walnut.

The piece stands a little over 13 inches tall and is 7-1/2" +/- wide. I made the pedestal a little thick on purpose, as a thinner one would have caused the piece to look top-heavy and tippy.

This piece of box elder has some nice flame and figure in it.

Attachments

• IMGP2623.JPG
    IMGP2623.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGP2622.JPG
    IMGP2622.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMGP2618.JPG
    IMGP2618.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMGP2619.JPG
    IMGP2619.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Very nice!

Roger,

You should be proud of that HF. The form is nice and the box elder looks like it should have some nice chatoyance.

I see what you mean about how a thinner pedestal would have made the piece appear a little tippy. I don't disagree with your design choice, but I think it's worth pointing out that the "tippiness" of a thinner pedestal sometimes creates a tension that makes a piece more dramatic. Your piece has beautiful lines and a desirable stability about it. It might even be said to have a "calming affect" on the viewer. By contrast, the same form with an ultra-thin pedestal might be more "exciting" for the viewer -- if only because of the fear it generates that a slight breeze will cause the pedestal to break.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with your design choice. Sometimes we want art to soothe our souls and other times we want art to make our blood race. Neither approach is always superior. I'm simply musing about my own reaction to it and why other, very similar pieces, produce different reactions.

Thanks David.........I guess I was thinking "stability" of the piece and "lift" as well. The piece is symmetrical when looked at in person. I am looking forward to getting this one finished out all the way..........I think you are correct about the "chatoyance" this one will have.

Thank you for your observations and philosophy concerning art pieces.......you gave an interesting take on the tension between comfort and excitement. :)

Back