• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl Turning Tools

Just joined the forum the other day and have already learned alot about turning.
I am new to turning and have only turned aromatic cedar on a 6" lathe.
I have just finished my lathe room, complete with an exaust blower w/dust collector. Got tired of the dust and caught the cedar cough.
I have also ordered a Grizzly Model G0584 14 1/2" x 43", 3/4 horsepower lathe (4-6 weeks backorder)
Am now in the process of cutting the trees (elm,persimmon,black walnut,sycamore, cedar & poplar).
My question is what tools do I need to get started in bowl turning?
Larry

bowlbound

Thanks for the help! :)
Can't wait until the lathe comes in to get started again.
Could someone advise me on the best calipers to purchase?

Any calipers that work are fine, plastic or metal making no nevermind. Double ended and very large size, that way you can check thickness on small and large bowls and vases. The ones that have a long end with a straight and curved arm are handy. Second thing to do is hit the local hardware store for the little plastic tips to put on the end of rods as cushions. Get 4 that will fit on the ends of the caliper arms. This prevents accidental dents or scrapes. You have to do all 4 arms, though, to keep consistant with the thickness gauging.

dietrich

Back