• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl Scraper

Hi Gals/Guys:

I'm looking to pickup a good radiused bowl scraper in the next week or two, and was wondering where to look. I like the Crown that Lee Valley has (item A) - but was wondering if I could pick up something similar somewhere else for a few bucks cheaper?

Any Ideas?

Your link didn't work for me. I might just be my computer though.

My recommendation is to go with the thickest and heaviest scraper that will meet the contour of most of your bowls. I started off with a 3/4" scraper and it did the job well until I went to bigger bowls. On a lark I bought the biggest one I could find at Woodcraft (can't remember the brand name) and it is a dream for larger work! I keep it sharp, and the large radius and thick steel just work dreams at putting nice smooth finishes into bowls. I can usually start at 220 grit sanding paper and be done in five minutes or so.

If you're going to get one, seriously consider http://www.seriouslathe.com/ as a source. They're A2, and respond well to traditional cabinet scraper burnishing technique.

KEW

Wait if you can.

If history is an indicator, Woodcraft will have30% off Sorby tools in October. While normally overpriced, this makes for a good deal on the Sorby extra heavy duty scrapers (1/2" thick).

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have a Henry Taylor that I like. It's thick and fairly wide. I ground a second bevel on it because it's so thick. This leaves the bevel shorter so it's quicker to grind to get the burr back. I usually use a diamond hone to raise the burr but sooner or later you have to grind it.

KEW

Maybe I should also ask the question: Where do most people purchase their tools?

Despite the drawbacks, living near a major city does have some advantages.
I'm close to both a Rockler and a Woodcraft. Their prices are generally a bit high, but I wait until I one of their promotions (Rockler often has 25% off and both give $15 off $50 type deals periodically). Highland Hardware has an occasional 20% off which I used for the elbo tool this summer.

Local symposiums usually offer 10% off and/or free shipping from Craft Supplies and Packard.

For mail order:
Hartville tool has good prices on Crown and Oneway. Go to the Woodnet forum and do a search for "+hartville +woodnet +discount"
Lee Valley has the best prices I've seen on P&N. They also have very reasonable prices on their "economy turning tools" which I speculate (purely a guess) are the same as the Pinnacle tools Woodcraft sells, without the stain on the handle.
Thebestthings.com has the best prices I've seen for Sorby.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If history is an indicator, Woodcraft will have30% off Sorby tools in October. While normally overpriced, this makes for a good deal on the Sorby extra heavy duty scrapers (1/2" thick).

I've been using one of these extra heavy duty 1/2" x 1/2" scrapers for the past several bowls......I'm impressed! Don't get rid of your thinner scrapers. You'll still need those, but I'm sure glad I got this one. There are times when it's just what's needed for a particular cut.

....odie

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jim I'm a confirmed catalog nut. I order every catalog I see so I can look at all the different tools and prices. Since I live out in the boonies I have to buy everything mail order. For woodturning 9 out of 10 times I get my tools from Packard woodworks or Craft Supplies. Other good places are Highland Hardware, Rockler, Woodcraft, Hartsville tools, and Lee Valley tools.
Of course there are a lot of individuals selling tools as well. I'm real fond of the Doug Thompson tools and a little more specialized but the Hunter tools are great for end grain hollowing.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Serious Tools

One of the owners of Serious was by to the June meeting (the day before the Portland meeting) and showed off the tool system. Very impressive. Consider their line.

I really like the fact that you can slide the tool into the handle, to give you a really short tool

Back