• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl Material Shopping

After last evenings storms I'm going shopping for bowl material today. There are hundreds of downed trees in this area. A woodturners paradise! I'm sure homeowners and the like don't look at it like that. Several homes were damaged by trees falling into them.

Gone Shoppin'
GA Darling

Last edited:
Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Steve Worcester said:
Along those lines, the homeowners are always thankfully for the wandering woodturner wielding a chainsaw, helping them clear their lots.
But how do they feel about us only sawing away the choicest parts of the thickest trunk sections and leaving all that sawdust, limbs and cutoff stuff behind? I'm looking for the person with a nice 36" diameter box elder or black walnut tree in their yard who wouldn't mind that :rolleyes:

I always help in stacking the limbs and other waste for cleanup crews so they can have an easier time of picking up all that stuff.

I ment to get back to this thread last night. I was just too tired. I brought home several walnut and maple crotch sections that had already been cut into about 4' sections. Today I cut up an oak tree. I left it in 6' logs and power winched it onto the trailer.
I always help in stacking the limbs and other waste for cleanup crews. The home owners are usually so greatful to not have to pay $300 + to get a tree cleaned up.

GA Darling

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
pencheff said:
But how do they feel about us only sawing away the choicest parts of the thickest trunk sections and leaving all that sawdust, limbs and cutoff stuff behind? I'm looking for the person with a nice 36" diameter box elder or black walnut tree in their yard who wouldn't mind that :rolleyes:
Well I guess the intent is to provide some community service foremost and some wood as the reward. If you help them chop the whole tree, limbs and all, they don't mind the sawdust. As there are usually more turners in the area, with more saws, you all get something out of it. (I usuall dibs the trunk up through the crotch).

Back