• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Book Trade, Bad Form?

Website
www.beyondbark.com
I want to know what you all think about a book trade? I have a few truning books that I have no use for anymore or I have extra copies of and wanted to see if you all thought asking for a book trade was bad form. Not selling anything just trading book for book.

I understand turners who write books make their money off the sale of the books and many of them are members of these forums. I do not wish to take money from these turners but would like to share the information.

What do you all think?

cypher said:
I want to know what you all think about a book trade? I have a few truning books that I have no use for anymore or I have extra copies of and wanted to see if you all thought asking for a book trade was bad form. Not selling anything just trading book for book.

I understand turners who write books make their money off the sale of the books and many of them are members of these forums. I do not wish to take money from these turners but would like to share the information.

What do you all think?
You will probably receive more "personal responses," than forum response. As a practical matter is there a difference between trading or reselling your books? Either way the author receives no compensation. Ebay is loaded with used books for sale. Once you purchase an item, in this case a book, it is yours to do with as you please. Provided of course you don't break any copyright laws. A few years ago I cleaned out my woodworking magazine and book collection. I donated most to a school and the school resold the ones that they didn't need or want for their library. I got rid of a lot of clutter and they put a few pennies in their coffers. I say go for it.

Website
www.FWCWT.org
How about donating them to your local turning club's library?
They benefit, you (maybe) consider it a charitable contribution, and everyone thinks you're a great guy for doing it...

I'm just sayin'...

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Czarcastic said:
How about donating them to your local turning club's library?
They benefit, you (maybe) consider it a charitable contribution, and everyone thinks you're a great guy for doing it...
This will work only if your chapter is recognized by the IRS as a non-profit organization.

As one who's been paid for his writing, I had no problem when my work was passed on to other readers. I forget the exact term, but passing on a legally acquired book is an expected and legal part of the publication world.

Book trading would not bother me at all. Personally, I like the idea of donating the books to your local turning chapter if they have a library.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Be careful donating books to the library. I thought they would put them on the shelf so everyone could use them. They simply sold them for as little as .50 cents. I had donated many photography books that the library didn't even have. I think they would have been a wonderful resource for the library. I'll sell them myself or donate them to the photo club or woodworking clubs next time.

To me, a book trade is the same thing as reselling a book. The only difference is it's a barter instead of money changing hands. Seems to me to be in fine form.

Back