• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Boiled my first big vase

@Kevin Jenness I agree with you - this looks more appealing vs boiling. Very interested in your results, keep the info coming - you might start a new thread.

Questions - what type of bag did you use? My guess is a clothing vac bag. The bag is left open vs sealed?

I don't anticipate using the technique a lot as I am usually once-turning these days, but I have several spalted maple logs that may need steaming or boiling to avoid cracking when drying. I have had pretty good luck with slowly drying roughouts for twice-turning using sealer, paper bags and cardboard boxes and am not usually in a big yank but I can see that certain pieces would benefit from boiling or (at least theoretically) steaming. Steaming in a bag is certainly easy to do. I am interested to hear if anyone else has used steam for this purpose.

I did test out a rudimentary insulated box made of 1" foil faced foam board splined together with inside dimensions of 21.5" x 21.5" x 28" which reached the boiling point, but the pieces cupped due to being heated on one side. One could certainly make a better box using laminated foam and exterior grade plywood but it would have to be well fastened and permanent or perhaps could be made with knock-down fasteners for easier storage, but the bag seems to work well enough and could be insulated with a blanket if necessary. One steamer might suffice if the bag was well insulated. For a large volume like the timber Lou Sauzedde bends in the linked video a more powerful heat source like a propane burner would probably be necessary.

This makes me wonder if putting the piece in vacuum sealed plastic bags and boiling it would work. They seem to be doing a lot of cooking that way now...

robo hippy

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
My only boiling plans are for my very large hollow forms where I believe (hope) the market $ potential for them justifies the work, cost and time. For everything else I plan to stick to my standard methods - sealed for twice turned, paper bags or cardboard boxes and fans for once turned. The steaming concept is interesting so may look into that at some point.

@Kevin Jenness
Questions - what type of bag did you use? My guess is a clothing vac bag. The bag is left open vs sealed?
I used a 6 mil poly bag from my dust collection system about 22" x 48' flat dimensions. The open end was folded over and loosely sealed with spring clips. One could get a somewhat better seal by routing the hoses through tight holes in the side of the bag and rolling the end a couple of times but it worked well enough with a somewhat leaky setup.

It takes 1 btu to raise 1 lb of water 1 degree Fahrenheit, but 970 btus to change 1 lb of 212 degree water to steam. That phase change energy is released when the steam condenses back into water, most of it inside the chamber, so one can get a large amount of heat into the workpiece while boiling a small amount of water.

Last edited:
This makes me wonder if putting the piece in vacuum sealed plastic bags and boiling it would work. They seem to be doing a lot of cooking that way now...

robo hippy

I have frequently wondered about using a turkey roasting bag, sealing it up, and putting it in the oven. The water in the wood will turn to steam and be held by the bag, so it would steam it. I may try it sometime.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Alan, it would work but I would have the same issue I have now. The inside will begin to rust. I'm hoping to find either a copper, stainless or aluminum pot.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
This site has several options that would work. This is one (you would need to cut the top off of this one, but there are other options). I’m sure there are other winemaking/beer brewing suppliers with similar offerings. Maybe one close enough to you to save on shipping too.

Kevin, I've looked at the stainless ones and certainly an option. Thx..

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Jeff, I've looked at those but can't find the dimensions I need. Classic problem... lots are just barely too small and then some are way too big, but none seem to be just right.

240 quarts is biggest stainless I can find.
Unless you want to pay $1000 for a bit bigger:

Free shipping!

Jeff, I've looked at those but can't find the dimensions I need. Classic problem... lots are just barely too small and then some are way too big, but none seem to be just right.
Before we moved I had one that was 48” long x 24” tall x 24” wide - seems like that might work for you…Tractor Supply carrys them out here.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Jeff, thanks for the tip. When I've looked before I could find them just a bit too small or way too big, or the volume is right but the dimensions don't work. The 48" one would be a lot more water to heat up than I need. I know, I'm being picky but heating up 35 gal vs 70 gal makes a big difference. The repurposed air compressor tank with legs was a quick (and free) solution that's just the right size and shape to fit over my burner...just need it out of something that won't rust instantly. Still looking.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
After a lot of searching I've decided to give my existing pot a good thick coat of some high temp paint, not a rattle can this time. That didn't work very well. It's an ideal size and shape so worth the effort to control the rust.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Second turning done today. Not much color at this point. Will come alive with finish. Couple of cracks at the bottom that were there before I boiled it but nothing new while drying. Stable now so will set aside to dry a bit more and then finish.

Attachments

• IMG_8158.jpg
    IMG_8158.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 25
Only three weeks- that was fast. How thick was the vase after rough turning? Was it dead green, and had its weight stabilized before finish turning? Is the pith contained in the bottom, and are the cracks related to that?

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Kevin, the tree had been down for about a year but, as willow will do, the stump was sprouting leaves and small branches so I consider it green when cut. It sat out back as a log for a number of months but it was sprouting leaves out of the bark. Still plenty of moisture inside but not slinging water while spinning wet. Rough turning was to about 1/2" or so, boiled as you see and then into a big drying box with a tube fan inserted into the cavity and damp rid containers in the corners of the box. I don't weigh pieces to gauge stabilization. My experience over the years here in Memphis is once something hits about 13%-16% moisture level it's stable enough to set out in the open air for a bit more drying or second turning. The pith runs through the center and is off center on the bottom. Not uncommon for my pieces. The crack runs across the bottom through the pitch and was there before I put it up to dry. It grew a little while drying but not surprised. It's now inside the house where the humidity is low and will dry a bit more before I move on.

Do you sense that boiling decreased the drying time compared to similar pieces that were not boiled? Do you think the crack would have gotten worse without boiling?

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Well, my first time to boil something so I have no history to compare to. It did dry (not fully dry yet) faster than my experience with other pieces not boiled but 1 is not trend. I've read and been told by folks that do it a lot that it does speed up the drying time and reduce cracking. There's plenty of data out there that it does indeed help on those two points. No idea if the crack would have gotten worse. It's not a trivial crack but something I can deal with I think plus, no other cracks developed. In a very large piece of willow I would have expected more to develop.

I boiled another one like it yesterday. Took it out of the pot this morning and just now put in the drying box. Will see.

Back