• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Black Light on Wood Grain

Website
www.perfectwoodworks.com
Ever tried holding a black light to piece of wood to see if it affects the grain? I was told that Honey Locust shines like gold. Haven't tried it yet since I don't have Honey Locust.

But I did find something interesting when I held it up to some Red Bud wood.

www.turnwood.net/Photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4610/ppuser/241

I'd really like to know if any other woods you come across will do this. I did notice that it will only shine like this on a freshly cut side. The end grain had been sealed and showed no signs of phosphorescence, I guess that's the correct term. Also noticed a little effect on Mimosa, but very slight.

Last edited:

Sky

Cool!! Dang it, now I have to get another thing for my shop!#*! ;)

Those familiar with Hoadley's Understanding Wood will enjoy reading up on the subject there. Might be something to make even a "spindle turning" into art. ;)

Chapter 7, "other qualities" of wood. In my edition, begins on p 139, with pictures in B&W.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
For the totally nerdly, read on!

Leo Frilot said:
Alright, I'll have to look for this book at my library. Thanks for some info. Anybody else?

Leo:

I had a look at Hoadley's Chapter 7 paragraphs on wood fluorescence. He describes the process in very (very) basic terms, but does not elaborate on why the wood fluoresces. He includes a table (p. 140) of some of the known species of wood which have demonstrated fluorescence properties, and notes that yellow is the predominant color of visible fluorescence when irradiated with UV light. Recall that there are UV light sources that are termed "short-wave" and "long-wave", depending on which wave bands of UV light are emitted by the lamp. The properties of fluorescence (including the visible light color given off by a compound) may differ depending on the light source used. Regardless, the property is really neat, and this post has piqued my interest again in this phenomenon. I guess I'll have to dig-out my UV light sources from my lab's store room and see whether there is some utility in describing fluorescence colors, perhaps as an aid to wood identification.

As to the chemical nature of the compounds found in the wood that cause fluorescence under UV illumination, my first suspicion would be a class of phenolic compounds collectively termed "flavonoids" which are produced by plants as part of a biosynthetic chemical pathway which imparts different coloration to various plant parts, protection from damaging light, herbivore/predation protection, and some other functions. [For those interested in these chemicals, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavonoid]

I did research on these plant-derived compounds in the mid-1980s; they routinely fluoresce under both short and long UV irradiation, and may be part of the complex mixture of chemicals found in wood, collectively termed 'extractives'. Hoadly notes that in some species, differences in color due to early-wood or late-wood position is observed; this may be due to the tree depositing different chemical compounds at different times throughout the growing season. Very interesting indeed!

For those that have a UV light source and would like to experiment, you can find wood species that fluoresce a particular color under "black light" (test as many different species as you can!). [Be careful with short wave UV light, as it can cause eye/skin damage.] Once you have identified which species "glow" in the visible spectrum with a particular color, then fume the wood surface with ammonia vapors, and re-examine under the same UV light for any color changes. If the fluorescence color does change, the compound(s) is/are very likely from the group of flavonoids (incl. flavonols, flavones, coumarins, chalcones, and related phenolic compounds). This was one of the standard visual "chromatic shift" methods used to identify these compounds following chromatography. Most compounds were actually identified from isolated and purified samples using UV spectrophotometry and known absorption spectra.

Finally, Hoadley mentions that the wood fluorescence characteristics (i.e. intensity) decline with age, or upon prolonged exposure to light, even just "room" light (...suggesting oxidation or photo-oxidation of the compounds responsible for fluorescence). He recommends storing the fluorescent woods in the dark if the wood's fluorescence quality is to be maintained. (If a dark place is not available, wrap the wood samples in aluminum foil.)

I'll see what I can do to find out more about this, but at least I hope I've provided some additional information about the topic.

Rob

Last edited:
Leo,

There is brief article on wood fluorescence in the Volume 2 for the Journal of the Fluoerscent Mineral Society <http://www.uvminerals.org/jourlist.htm>. The article mentions sumac, catalpa, pine, fir, and cedar. Fluorescent colors are red, pink, lemon yellow and green. Some of the sumac fluoresces yellow and red together. Talk about tying my two hobbies together.

You can get a copy of the Journal from the society, or send me a note if you would like a copy of the article.

Jan

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
jwitnberg said:
Leo,

There is brief article on wood fluorescence in the Volume 2 for the Journal of the Fluoerscent Mineral Society <http://www.uvminerals.org/jourlist.htm>. The article mentions sumac, catalpa, pine, fir, and cedar. Fluorescent colors are red, pink, lemon yellow and green. Some of the sumac fluoresces yellow and red together. Talk about tying my two hobbies together.

You can get a copy of the Journal from the society, or send me a note if you would like a copy of the article.

Jan

Jan:

I didn't realize there was a Fluorescent Mineral Society! I've been playing with them since I was a kid - I grew up in northern New Jersey and many times we went rock hunting at the Buckwheat Mine dump and a few other places in and around Franklin, New Jersey - I still have my share of specimens of calcite, franklinite, willemite, zincite, smithsonite, etc. and a host of other unusual minerals from this region. Learned how cool rocks & minerals are really early in life. (It helped to have a dad who was an earth science teacher!)

I would really appreciate receiving a copy of the wood fluorescence article from the Journal of the FMS. I have pulled out my long/short UV light box and may look at a few wood specimens over the weekend. It would (wood?) be good to know what was written about them in terms of their fluorescence properties. I have sent you a separate PM through the AAW web site, since I didn't have your e-mail address.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Back