• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Best book for newbies

I have a friend that lives a couple states away that is thinking about getting a lathe. I’d like to send him a book to help with his early turning process. One of those I appreciated when I started was Keith Rowley’s ‘Foundation Course’, but that was 30yrs ago. Are there better books available? Thanks in advance

Raffan's Turning Wood is a good intro though dated, and worth reading for a novice, but you can only get so much on technique from a book. I've found Brian Havens' Youtube series very good on tool use and there are other good video presenters but there's really no substitute for in-person instruction when starting out.

I haven't read it but Mike Darlow's Fundamentals of Woodturning looks promising.

Raffan's Turning Wood is a good intro though dated, and worth reading for a novice, but you can only get so much on technique from a book. I've found Brian Havens' Youtube series very good on tool use and there are other good video presenters but there's really no substitute for in-person instruction when starting out.

I haven't read it but Mike Darlow's Fundamentals of Woodturning looks promising.
What happened to Brian Havens? .. He just suddenly stopped putting up videos years ago.

Last edited:
I have most of Raffan's books, and IMHO Turning Wood is superior to the larger, newer Taunton Illustrated Guide. I was surprised, but that's my take.

Nothing wrong with old books for learning turning fundamentals - they haven’t changed. Pre-90’s books wont cover modern wood chucks, nor all of the tool steels.

For bowls and hollow forms, Ellsworth’s “Ellsworth on Woodturning”. The Raffan books recommended as well. Stuart Batty’s video series is very good.

One thing a newbie needs is a good start on understanding finishing. For turners and flat WW’s, Bob Flexner’s “ Understanding Wood Finishing” is a must have. Though dated, it covers water based finishes well enough to understand how they work. That is the point of the book - understand how finishes work vs step 1-2-3 of how to finish (though there is some of that). Do you want to be a fry cook or chef?

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Great recommendations here. I second Ellsworth’s book that Doug mentioned (as well as his reference of Stuart Batty’s videos). Raffan’s Art of Turned Bowls had a significant impact on my early journey, though it’s more of a design consideration book rather than fundamental how-to.

The above books, as well as Raffan and Havens Youtube videos. Caution, it is necessary to watch each Raffan video several times, once watching how the blank changes, once how the cutting edge moves, once how the tool moves, and once how the bodhy moves. Took me years to realize this, what a tremendous benefit.

Back