• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Basket illusion rim question

While working on my latest basket illusion which has a herringbone pattern rim, I started to question it. My knowledge of original baskets is limited but it seems this rim treatment is absent on original western baskets. I cannot find an example. Can someone prove me wrong.
732C5712-C93D-4296-94CB-AC11E76639A7.jpeg

There are examples of herring bone rims from several different tribes, but much of that info is buried deep in a couple of reference books I have.

Specific rim stitches can distinguish origins of historic baskets. For example, the Havasupais branch of the Apache used the herringbone rim while other branches of Southern Apache used an ordinary wrapped stitch.

Additionally, Paiutis used herringbone rims as did the Navajo.

Still others used a plaited rim which can appear similar to the herringbone, particularly in many of the old historic pictures used in many books.

Personally, I use a herringbone pattern on nearly all the baskets I've made, not to be historically correct, but rather because I like the look and it is part of my design/interpretation.

BTW, my herringbone pattern always points counterclockwise. For no other reason than that is the direction that felt natural to me.

Edit: here is a short excerpt from the book "Indian Basketry" by George Wharton James.

..."They are woven as above described, but finished on the border in a style peculiar to the Paiutis, Navahoes and Havasupais. No other weavers make this diagonal border whip stitch that I call the herring bone finish. It is both a beautiful and appropriate stitch, resembling somewhat the braiding on a whip, and is a distinguished mark of the weave of these three peoples."

Last edited:
Tim,
Thank you very much! I need to expand my reference material. I realize this is being a bit nit picky. After all, it is basket illusion. Thanks again for your information!

Mark, my knowledge of Native American baskets is also very limited. But I do know that some of the old Navajo baskets, the ceremonial wedding baskets especially, had the herringbone type weave around the rim. It wasn't nearly as fine as we see on wooden basket illusion pieces though. Like Tim Connell said, I like the way the herringbone design looks. I've done a few basket illusion pieces using Native American designs but mostly I just come up with something that I like. As in any art form, the maker has unlimited freedom to do them any way they want, including the rim.
Here are a couple links that show a few example of the herringbone design on actual baskets. I think it looks better an wood basket illusions.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_h9t5VRCc

Mark, I have two books for reference, they are reprints from 1904 and 1909. They both have many illustrations - line drawings and photographs, but are all in b&w. The photos as you might imagine are crude by todays standards, but if you are looking for design ideas they are handy to have. Both have info on form and symbolism which is useful, but they also delve into weaving, materials, dyes, etc which is less so.

"Indian Basketry". By George Wharton James.

"American Indian Basketry" by Otis Tuftin Mason

I think they are both worth having if you are looking for reference material, but keep in mind that both were originally published in the early 1900's.

Thanks again Gents. I understand as an art form we can “do as we please” so to speak. One does need to understand the art he or she is creating to my way of thinking. I really appreciate the suggestion and help. Time to get out the reading glasses.

Back