• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Aussie Burl Finishing?

So having solved the shearing wood screw problem, I am on to the next dilemma! My Australian Red Mallee winged bowl turned out fairly well, but I am having trouble finishing it. After sanding, I sealed it with shellac (Zinsser Seal Coat), scuffed it lightly with 0000 steel wool, (it looked fine at this stage) and then Beall buffed it. At that point I am getting waxy streaky bits on the surface, which I can't seem to buff out. I have a theory ... since the shellac sits on the surface of the wood, unlike oil, and since these burls are so HARD (they get quite hot when sanding), I think the high speed buffing is generating heat that is melting the shellac film, which leads to the ugliness I am seeing. So ...

a. Does my theory make any sense? What is causing the gummy streaky bits during buffing (Yes I am being very careful not to overload the buffing wheels with compound or wax)

b. How you you guys and gals finish your aussie burls?

Thanks

David

I am not sure about your streaking problem but to you second question. i finish the aussie burls that I have done with danish oil. I sand to about 400 grit(or finer) then put some danish oil on it. after the danish oil has dried then I take it to the buffing wheel and buff it. This way it finishes off with a gloss like finish that really brings out the figure of the wood.
Stacey

Thanks everyone. I resanded the piece down to bare wood and used Watco Danish Oil - end of problems! Cheers.

David

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
David Rive said:
Thanks everyone. I resanded the piece down to bare wood and used Watco Danish Oil - end of problems! Cheers.

David

David,

Even though Shellac dries really fast, you do need to give it a modest amount of time to cure completely before subjecting it buffing, or you will get the results you describe. Also, check your buffing techinique. You may be bearing down on the buffing material, or staying in one place to long. Or overloading your buffs.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Back