• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Arrowmont totem poles

Has anyone been to Arrowmont recently? Are the totem poles from the 1990 symposium, that were made of pieces from various chapters, still there?
I don't know why I though of this recently. I was there when they went up, and I think I have pics of the process somewhere.

As of October they were still up. I get up early and walk the loop a few times to get the blood flowing. Getting a little weathered but still look good. Lots of changes, especially since the fire.

As of October they were still up. I get up early and walk the loop a few times to get the blood flowing. Getting a little weathered but still look good. Lots of changes, especially since the fire.
Thanks. I haven't been back since the symposium. Now that I'm retired, I'd like to go back someday.

Hi, Bob.....that was 1990 if I'm not mistaken. I have a piece included with the Bucks chapter's submission. Interesting project.
Hi, Tom-
I'm pretty sure you're right on the year. I remember watching it all go together.
I was involved with the piece that the NY turners made, a large apple. It wasn't included in the totem pole because when it was made, it was glued up as a hollow, laminated blank. There were concerns that it wouldn't hold weight. It went into the inside gallery.
I'll see you in a couple of months. We're down in Alabama until mid March.

Back