• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Are there Turning Cooperatives?

We have space available in our store for displaying and selling turned goods. I'm already displaying and selling my things and was looking to expand the selection with items from other turners.

I'm trying to figure the best way to do this for turners and ourselves. Does anyone belong to a cooperative? Or is this all done on consignment w/a % commission?

Stoppy

Stoppy,
Woodnet had one in Lewiston Idaho back in the late 90's when I was chair of Intermountain Woodnet, they charged 25% (of the sale price to the mfgr), the plan was to make it self sustaining with flat and turned items. It is gone now and as I recall they had a time with it before giving up. It takes a lot of resources to get it up and keep it running in an area with low population ,low traffic flow etc. If yours is working that is a good thing. Only draw back would be frt to your store from say New York...more added up front cost. Locale stuff would not be too bad but the first time you got something in and it was broke by the frt company good luck..... All too often the price has to go up to make a $ and the discounter's, people looking for a " deal " etc. won't buy and you get hung up. Sounds like you do not have that problem if your stuff is selling. Do you have online shoping also? Let me know, I am willing to check it out further.

chips29 said:
Stoppy,
Do you have online shoping also? Let me know, I am willing to check it out further.
No nothing online.
A little background, we have an embroidery, screenprinting business in a good location in the Old Town area here. I took up woodturning as a hobby a couple of years ago 'cause I wanted something to do in retirement. Did some pens, bottle stoppers, ornaments, mills and a few bowls. On a lark took some of the to the store to display and lo and behold they started to sell. My first thought was more money for the vortex to suck up. :) Recently I got to thinking that I could build a very attractive display area for more than my stuff. I don't want to give the space away but I'm not interested in trying to make a killing here either. Hence the question 'cause I don't know how to begin to appraoch this idea.

Last edited:
Website
www.abhats.com
Cooperative experiences

I've belonged to two in the past and am currently a member of one today -all art co-op's. The first one wanted an annual membership plus a number of hours each month to staff, and then took 40% of sale price. I didn't live locally, so I was supposed to find someone to take my place each month, or pay a premium for membership. This lasted one year.

The second was in a very good location but wanted almost $200 per year for membership. They also wanted 40%. I tried it out anyway, even though it was further away from home than the previous one. Wasn't worth the effort.

The one I belong to now is where my turning club meets. The membership is only slightly more than our club's, but the people are nice and easy to get along with. They want 35%. They've increased the size of the 'gift' shop, and several members have pieces in it.

The interesting thing is that the consignment rate at the six or so places I have pieces in is all 30%. They don't have membership dues, and I've never had any problems otherwise with them. Other than my current one being where we meet, I probably wouldn't be interested in joining another.

If you're really serious about opening a turning co-op, I'd strongly suggest doing a thourough market analysis and making a business plan first. If you don't have strong sales, then your members will have to pay the rent and expenses. I thought the second one I joined was in an excellent area for sales, but I was wrong. Turns out they really don't do that much in annual business at all!

Walt,

First thanks for the first hand info it gives pause to the cooperative idea. And more weight to the consignment idea. Actually what I'm most interested in doing is getting a larger variety of turnings viewed and hopefully sold. At my age I don't think the danger is near at hand that I'm gonna become world famous doing this. What I'm finding is that most people view these works with a far less critical eye than we do. That may change dramatically when one starts trying to seriously sell them.
There is some incredible work posted on the various forums. I'd like nothing better than for the public to see some of this work.

Thanks again for the food for thought!

Jim

Website
www.abhats.com
Speaking of food for thought . . .

Jim -

With no idea of where you are or what your market is like, I really do like your thinking about putting variety out for the public. If anything will draw customers, that will be it. I don't make pens, but people do buy them. I don't (anymore) make resturant grade pepper grinders, but some folks want them. I do make pepper and salt sets and they sell very well at our shows (usually pay our booth fees!). I love to make art bowls, but they sell best at galleries. Many people want salad bowls, but I don't make them. The list can go on forever.

My wife and I vended at 20 shows last year and will do at least 18 this. We're almost always profitable because she does something different than I, but I've also sold very well at shows with other turners, Why? Because you can put five turners next to each other and we'll all have different things to offer.

A final comment - the general public will buy utility art pieces. They can look at a centerpiece bowl and know if it will fit into their home and what they want to do with it. They aren't interested in obtaining a humidity controlled case for a 'gallery' quality piece. Collectors will purchase them, but you've got to have those folks in your neighborhood.

Walt

Back