• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

anyone else make canes?

A buddy asked me to make him a cane so I did and for some reason I've still been making them off and on. It's a good challenge to make a 3 foot spindle tapered from 1 1/4 to 7/8.

Here's the latest, Hedge apple shaft with a stylized green vine snake for some color. (all hand carved with rasps and files) Copper ferrules with an antler donated by a whitetail.

Attachments

• PXL_20240707_150044527.jpg
    PXL_20240707_150044527.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20240707_150211180.jpg
    PXL_20240707_150211180.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20240707_150107031.jpg
    PXL_20240707_150107031.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 54
Looks great, Sam.

Recently I came across a reference to a knobkerrie. (A what?) Lots of history out there about the humble walking stick. I want to make one following this video as an inspiration. In the process, he takes the bend out of his stick in an interesting way. It's a neat short video to watch.
View: https://youtu.be/Sodeng1U9Mg?si=GI1W1EwnLHTevuin

A buddy asked me to make him a cane so I did and for some reason I've still been making them off and on. It's a good challenge to make a 3 foot spindle tapered from 1 1/4 to 7/8.
Here's the latest, Hedge apple shaft with a stylized green vine snake for some color. (all hand carved with rasps and files) Copper ferrules with an antler donated by a whitetail.

Not quite the same thing, but similarly slender. Back post for a Windsor armchair. 30" long, 1/2" diameter at one end, 3/8" at the other, with a thin 3/4"waist at the middle.

Attachments

• DSCF2123 sm.JPG
    DSCF2123 sm.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 14
I have been making a few, all walnut shafts and various headsView attachment 64803View attachment 64804
They look good! Have you made any 2 or 3 piece shafts yet?

I really want to make a shaft out of bocote but its hard to find for the diameter I want. Bell forest is out at the moment so I figured I'm going to have to step up and use some shorter length and then join together.

Sam, look up Gilmer Hardwoods in Portland, OR. This place is incredible!

The term Bois d’Arc is French named by French explorers. It means wood of the bow. Osage orange refers to the fruit fruit (Seed pod) of this tree which the Osage made their bows and other things from. The tree is native to the Ozark mountains and the Texas red river valley. Ozark is another French word which means Osage bow.
In the mid 1800’s enterprising individuals from the area of Bonham Texas collected the seeds of the Bois d’Arc took them to the Midwest and sold them to farmers to make hedges with. This business stopped with the invention of Bob War ( Texan for Barbed Wire). Thus the name Hedge and Hedge Apple. The French pronunciation of Bois d’Arc is bwa dock (Texan Bo Dark).

The term Bois d’Arc is French named by French explorers. It means wood of the bow. Osage orange refers to the fruit fruit (Seed pod) of this tree which the Osage made their bows and other things from. The tree is native to the Ozark mountains and the Texas red river valley. Ozark is another French word which means Osage bow.
In the mid 1800’s enterprising individuals from the area of Bonham Texas collected the seeds of the Bois d’Arc took them to the Midwest and sold them to farmers to make hedges with. This business stopped with the invention of Bob War ( Texan for Barbed Wire). Thus the name Hedge and Hedge Apple. The French pronunciation of Bois d’Arc is bwa dock (Texan Bo Dark).

Ozark - I had no idea. Fortunately, my one bodark doesn't fruit. I'd hate to be running over softballs with the mower.

Back