• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Am I the only one?

Well, some how, I forgot, again, to empty out my dust collection barrel, and it over flowed into the pleated paper filter. This is always a dusty mess to clean out. My solution to it is to use a hose to wash out all the dust and it saves all my neighbors too. I have done this more than once, and it has not seemed to bother the air flow or the paper filter at all. Anyone else do this?

robo hippy

If it's like a shop vacuum filter they are made to get wet aren't they?

I myself use a regular shop vac on a disc sander and day before yesterday noticed a little pile of dust where the hose connects. Investigated and found the canister was completely packed full. No more sucky. It was so gradual I didn't notice the change in the level of noise. Have to figure out a way to remind myself.

I put a Lexan sight glass in my old one but haven't done that yet on my new one. Not sure I will as it's kind of a pain to get it sealed up well.

I have a 20 year old Jet 2-bag with the 1 micron(?) upgrade bags. It is dedicated to my 2 lathes, each branch controlled by blast gates. It also has a 30-gal steel trash can separator for chips. Lately the system has seemed rather asthmatic, so earlier this morning I took it all apart. Cripes! The filter bags weren't full (the steel trash can does its job well), but their interior surfaces were so caked with wood flour that they were plugged. Running, the bags were hard with compressed air and the impellor sounded very quiet. Got everything emptied and used my Fein shop vac to clean the bag interior surfaces. Boy! Now the bags are just puffy soft when its running, the impellor noise level is up several times louder (it sits in a vented closet to control noise), and dust disappears with much vigor down the hood at the lathe. Just like new again.

No Robo, it's not just you!

I built a dust bin sensor that lights up when the barrel gets full. It’s a Banner QS18VN6D sensor and a couple of led lights wired up. When the bin is full the red light turns on. At all times a small green light is illuminated to show the system is on. Put the electronics in a small plywood box and have it magnetically mounted to the dust collector.

Attachments

• IMG_1435.jpeg
    IMG_1435.jpeg
    813.4 KB · Views: 21
Hate to admit but I’ve done this a couple times on my 3hp Oneida cyclone. It wastes a few hours getting it cleaned up each time. I haven’t used water, just a lot of banging on the 4ft canister filter after digging everything out, and then vacuuming with a Fein vac. Hopefully I won’t ever have to do it again, each time heightens my attention to it…but the OEM warning detector isn’t real reliable so I just have to physically check

If it's like a shop vacuum filter they are made to get wet aren't they?

Sam- the 3 or 4 "shop vacs" that have been part of my life (Shop Vac, Rigid, Fein) always said filters are for dry pickup only, and to remove the filters for wet pickup.

The aftermarket Gortex filters can be water rinsed for cleaning, and left out to dry thoroughly, but even they say to remove the filter for wet pickup.

Hate to admit but I’ve done this a couple times on my 3hp Oneida cyclone. It wastes a few hours getting it cleaned up each time. I haven’t used water, just a lot of banging on the 4ft canister filter after digging everything out, and then vacuuming with a Fein vac. Hopefully I won’t ever have to do it again, each time heightens my attention to it…but the OEM warning detector isn’t real reliable so I just have to physically check
I have had similar problems with the Oneida filter, especially if the wide belt sander has been used a lot. The problem is that the filter plugs up and then there is no place for the air to go and that negates the cyclone action and the chips go into the filter and soon there is no vacuum. The filter then must be taken down and emptied, which results in a large pile of shavings on the floor, and then the filter needs to be blown out. The dust in my case goes back to the forest and no neighbors are bothered.

I had noticed that there was a considerable drop in vacuum pressure, so checked it out. Just tapping the outsides and insides just doesn't do a very good job. I did use one of my 'fire' hoses which is hooked up to my well which puts out about 60 gallons/minute. I did not have it all the way on. I don't thin, more pressure would have hurt it, that paper is pretty thick. I may use a bit more. A lot of the fins inside did not totally clear/clean up.

robo hippy

I've been guilty of not paying attention tion to mine...it's a HF dust collector with upgraded Wynn Environmental nano cartridge filter. I've heard of people taking their canisters to the carwash and washing out - depending on the filter material, I believe I've read that it was water proof, just keep the pressure down to a reasonable level. Never been brave enough to try. I blow mine out periodically to dislodge dust, but keep the pressure at 30psi or so. It all drops into the bottom plastic bag and done.

Wynn Environmental has cleaning info on their site.
I think it was Stumpy Nubbs that had a video and plans for putting together a simple gauge to show the suction of your system - always meant to do it, just never got around to it...

I have a 20 year old Jet 2-bag with the 1 micron(?) upgrade bags. It is dedicated to my 2 lathes, each branch controlled by blast gates. It also has a 30-gal steel trash can separator for chips. Lately the system has seemed rather asthmatic, so earlier this morning I took it all apart. Cripes! The filter bags weren't full (the steel trash can does its job well), but their interior surfaces were so caked with wood flour that they were plugged. Running, the bags were hard with compressed air and the impellor sounded very quiet. Got everything emptied and used my Fein shop vac to clean the bag interior surfaces. Boy! Now the bags are just puffy soft when its running, the impellor noise level is up several times louder (it sits in a vented closet to control noise), and dust disappears with much vigor down the hood at the lathe. Just like new again.

No Robo, it's not just you!
Some manufacturers will tell you the "cake" lining the bags is what really increases the efficiency of removing fine particles from coming through. I'm not a fan of anecdotal stories being used as data. A 20 year old Jet will not have 1 micron bags on it. 1 micron bags are more like felt, not fabric.

Well, some how, I forgot, again, to empty out my dust collection barrel, and it over flowed into the pleated paper filter. This is always a dusty mess to clean out. My solution to it is to use a hose to wash out all the dust and it saves all my neighbors too. I have done this more than once, and it has not seemed to bother the air flow or the paper filter at all. Anyone else do this?

robo hippy
I contacted Wynn Filters about using water, here is their response.
Richard,
Thanks for your inquiry.
Our woodworking filters are " reverse flow " for the most part and are designed to be cleaned down from the outside with about 60 PSI of compressed air usually from a hand held air nozzle and NOT with water. We DO offer filters which are designed to be washed with water but we like to know more about the application before selling those filters. Filter surface area, efficiency and prices vary widely.
If you are concerned about a certain application and have questions, please get back to us.
Thanks,
Dick Wynn

Some manufacturers will tell you the "cake" lining the bags is what really increases the efficiency of removing fine particles from coming through. I'm not a fan of anecdotal stories being used as data. A 20 year old Jet will not have 1 micron bags on it. 1 micron bags are more like felt, not fabric.
Yep, that cake was almost a double layer birthday cake (bit of an exaggeration). Very little air was getting through, and it happened so gradually over time that I didn't notice it.

Whichever material bags I bought from Jet as the upgrade, the result was me tossing out the bags that were more akin to canvas and installing the thicker, heavier material that is quite felt-like.

I just went looking for these fabric bags. It looks like the canvas were typically marketed as 30 micron, and the upgrade I have as 5 micron. Agreed a bit of caking is desirable, but I'll have to do better at not letting it cake to the point of losing suction so severely.

These newer generation collectors from Jet and such, with the large pleated filter and the built-in rotating shaker bar that knocks the dust off and into the bottom catch bag, how long are these pleated filters lasting before that shaker bar wears through the pleats?

Amazon shows several makes for $100-250, depending on your machine, and pleated retrofits for older collectors for over $400.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
These newer generation collectors from Jet and such, with the large pleated filter and the built-in rotating shaker bar that knocks the dust off and into the bottom catch bag, how long are these pleated filters lasting before that shaker bar wears through the pleats?
Well, I'd have to remember to spin that bar occasionally :)

The old cloth filters were supposed to work better with some 'cake' on them, which would take them from 5 microns to a bit less, but still there would be a dust plume when you turned it on. I am not sure about the paper filters. Never thought about them being one direction like Gortex or similar materials. I probably should call Oneida to see what they say.

robo hippy

I have a Wynn on my HF DC. Wynn does have instructions for using water to clean - too much pressure is bad, but I couldnt tell you how much is too much. A lot of pressure is not required. A new filter gains filtering efficiency when it 1st loads up. There is no need to remove ALL the dust. If you do, it will just load up again to an equilibrium point. I have found tapping a using a bit of air blown through in reverse does the best job all around.

I feel lucky to live in a rural area. I have a cyclone separator and vent outside. Never a loss of efficiency and no filters to clean. My cyclone was from a guy in Escarda NY ( I don’t think he is still making them) and does an excellent job. Nothing outside where the vent is. I have a 3 hp jet impeller attached. I still need to keep an eye on my 55 gallon drum, but have never overfilled it yet.

I have a polyester pleated filter on the outlet from my cyclone and I have washed that out once with mains pressure water.

I don't ever use the paddles provided inside the filter housing because I don't want to risk small splinters penetrating the filter.

I always wash out my cartridge filter with water. Never use the paddles, would not that destroy the filter in no time???

I have a Wynn on my HF DC. Wynn does have instructions for using water to clean - too much pressure is bad, but I couldnt tell you how much is too much. A lot of pressure is not required. A new filter gains filtering efficiency when it 1st loads up. There is no need to remove ALL the dust. If you do, it will just load up again to an equilibrium point. I have found tapping a using a bit of air blown through in reverse does the best job all around.
I guess the owner of Wynn's doesn't know what he's talking about then.

I guess the owner of Wynn's doesn't know what he's talking about then.
Just checked the Wynn Environmental site for cleaning instructions. They do make different filters, but their filters for woodworking now are either Merv 10 or MERV 15 rated. All are termed nano filters. I believe when I bought mine they also sold some using other less efficient filter materials. Their current FAQ page for woodworking filters states:

Q: Are your filters washable?
A: No, we do not recommend washing. Our woodworking filters are cleaned-down from the outside with about 60 PSI of compressed air. Just use your blow-off nozzle.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention the compressor!!
I have a 24-year-old Onieda cyclone that has an internal filter. I never replaced it, just removed it, took it outside the shop, and blew it out a few times a year. I have a 30-gallon container that fills up unnoticed. There were times when the interface hose between the cyclone and dust Can filled up. Every so often, I'll blow everything out.

Me too! Need a window on the barrel, or a Troll to remind me to empty it every #months. Half day mess in my basement.

I have a home made cyclone box and a Oneida Cyclone. I put windows in both at the top. Just cut a hole and plex about 1 inch larger. Use a gasket under plex, mine is the rubber used to fill concrete cracks when sealing. Use screws or bolts , both work, to hold the window in place. Now the real problem is remembering to check the window. You can install a proximity sensor to tell you when Dust Bin Fill Indicator

I've spoken with Dick Wynn during the design phase of my two filter systems, one for the cyclone system and recently for my shop air filtration. He's very knowledgeable and has far-reaching resources; all you need to do is ask, and he'll respond and help. As Ross posted with a picture of the proximity sensor, just like Gerald mentioned above, the sensor is not too expensive, and a flashing light beacon will help you remember that it's time to stop and empty. I have the sensor in my barrel, and that's good as it is in a building on the outside wall of my shop. No noise or space is taken up in my wood shop.

Most of my chips fall to the floor when I'm turning, and I sweep and gather with my shop vac, which has a dust deputy attached. That 5-gallon bucket fills up fast some days. My daughter's chicken coop is very pretty, with all the woodchips at her house.

I have my canister filters attached in a simple way with gamma seal bucket lids, so they come down easy and I use compressed air to clean. They are not intended for water cleaning. You can gander at the gamma seal lids at the Wynn Environmental website here -> WynnEnvironmental Gamma Seal Lid

When I inadvertently (nobody does it on purpose) clog up my cyclone filter, after disassembly and the blue air around me has cleared I put on a mask and use the leaf blower to clear the clotted dust,blowing both from the inside and from the outside. Highly recommend doing this outdoors, late in the evening, on a windy day.

Back