• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

ALWAYS stay out of the line of fire

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
When starting your lathe, ALWAYS stay out of the line of fire. And make sure your PPE is in place before you hit that on switch! The blank in this image was originally going to be one or two pen pots. We will see what it becomes after I see what I can salvage. This was cut from a larger blank I got from my local Woodcraft by-the-pound bin. Waxed all over. Had a few marks, but nothing that looked too serious - certainly not something that would give me cause to worry about the integrity of the piece. Apparently on this particular one, I was wrong. I cut the larger blank into 3 smaller blanks to make weed pots in preparation for the upcoming show season. I prepped all the blanks today (roughly rounded, cut to length, tenon on one end). When I put this one on between centers, I started like I always do - off to one side, face shield in place. When the lathe came up to speed, the blank underwent unscheduled kinetic disassembly - a chunk flew out of the blank. The smaller piece you see in this picture was the only one I found - roughly 10 feet away from the lathe. Straight back from where the blank was mounted - had I been in front of the blank, it would have been a direct hit. Best case in that scenario is a bruise. Worst case I would rather not think about.....one end of the piece I did find tapers into a sharp edge.

My guess is that the fissure I did see was the edge of some ring shake. This is the only piece that I had this problem with. I think it was one of the edges of the original blank from which it was cut. The wood in the by-the-pound bin is there for a reason - it has checking, fissures, or even missing chunks that make it otherwise not suitable for sale. I usually do a good job of passing over the pieces that are too bad to be safe, this time I missed one.

Not just for the new turners, older turners can benefit from the reminder: ALWAYS stay out of the line of fire when starting your lathe and bringing it up to speed. Ideally, turn the speed all the way down before turning on the lathe, then raise to the speed you need. My lathe does not let me do that - but it does have a soft start, so it ramps up to the full speed instead of going from 0 to whatever in an instant. The other thing is to properly wear your PPE. Especially face shields and other protective wear. Spontaneous kinetic disassembly can happen at any time - even a seemingly good piece with no visible problems can suddenly come apart at speed. I had that happen with a piece of red oak I was roughing. Got it just about round and to the point I was going to shape it when it split end to end. Half hit me in the face(shield), the other half hit me in the chest. I am almost positive both ricocheted off of something else first. The blank showed no signs of checking or damage prior to me putting it on the lathe. Safety gear exists for a reason. Does not matter your experience - the wood does not discriminate.

UnscheduledKineticDisassembly.png

20220612_155917.jpg

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
How long have you been turning? Have you taken any lessons from a qualified experienced woodturner? Sounds like you have a spindle, small spindles at that, lathe, very unsafe to turn something bigger than a pen. If you have not done so yet, I highly recommend you join your local AAW chapter, and find a mentor.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
How long have you been turning? Have you taken any lessons from a qualified experienced woodturner? Sounds like you have a spindle, small spindles at that, lathe, very unsafe to turn something bigger than a pen. If you have not done so yet, I highly recommend you join your local AAW chapter, and find a mentor.
Huh? If that's the case for a "spindle lathe" then my Harbor Freight 1236 must be a death trap - Reeves drive, goes from 0 to whatever "like that" and often pieces of bark like to fling off and go flying.. lowest speed it will run at is around 650 RPM and if I don't guess right at getting blanks "centered" it can go bouncing all over the shop in a hurry... so I have been enjoying Tim's safety tips, and adventures (both that I have read so far, I've BTDT - Been There Done That)

(Also, BTW, you might want to peek at Tim's signature line as far as your comment about joining a club...)

As far as the original post - I have had several pieces come apart and in fact, one piece that was just too out of square where I had it between centers.. it started spinning up, and then went flying (15 pounds of hardwood) from between centers because my steb center basically drilled away the semi-flat center area and log slipped sideways and popped out of between centers....

So, whatever you do, always but always stay out of line of fire most especially on start-up and starting your cuts...

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Friend of mine got his nose broke in 2 places last week - had surgery and his nose is in a cast for a week. He's a very experienced turner. Was finishing off the bottom of a bowl. In a vacuum chuck, without the tailstock (not necessarily a problem in itself). But he wasn't wearing his face shield (is a problem). Something happened, bowl came off, and his face got rearranged a bit.

Accidents can happen. And most of us get complacent about our PPE/safety at one time or another (whether we admit it or not). Good to be reminded (especially when the reminder doesn't require a trip to the doc)...

If I prepped the blank, then I have cut off the ends, so I know what the end grain looks like. If I had purchased that one, I would have taken it to the bandsaw, and cut the ends off so I could see. If the blank is pretty much square, then lay it one side, and just touch the bandsaw blade to it. That gives you a square line to cut on. That would have revealed the culprit. I do stand out of the line of fire, even when turning spindles.

robo hippy

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
If I prepped the blank, then I have cut off the ends, so I know what the end grain looks like. If I had purchased that one, I would have taken it to the bandsaw, and cut the ends off so I could see. If the blank is pretty much square, then lay it one side, and just touch the bandsaw blade to it. That gives you a square line to cut on. That would have revealed the culprit. I do stand out of the line of fire, even when turning spindles.

robo hippy
This is, indeed, what I should have done. Not, of course, what I actually did.

I have a Nova DVR XP lathe. Not a small spindle lathe. Been turning for better than 10 years now, probably closer to 15. As for an AAW chapter, look below :)

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Great advice Tim! Just the other day I got an unwelcome surprise when I turned on my lathe. I had expanded the chuck jaws to the 'limit' to hold a piece and when I turned on the lathe one of the jaws let loose and banged against the lathe rails. Luckily I was NOT standing in the line of rotation because the metal jaw section could just as easily have let loose and flown in my direction if I were. After inspection I found that the limiting setscrew on the chuck piece sheared off allowing it to come off its track. Another fact I learned is to not push your chucks to the limit in terms of opening them up fully. You may be surprised (in a bad way) when you turn on the lathe.

Thanks for the info. Even the most seasoned of woodworker, Woodturner can slip up. I’ve been working as professional carpenter for almost 40 years and every so often I get humbled by something or another. When this happens I always go back to being hyper vigilant on the basics. I learn something everyday and that’s why I’m still doing it. Learning is part of the joy.

I don't think I will ever get to a level where I will never make any mistakes. Usually discover a new one, just about the time I think I have made all possible mistakes....

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I don't think I will ever get to a level where I will never make any mistakes. Usually discover a new one, just about the time I think I have made all possible mistakes....

robo hippy

You have the advantage of knowing enough to realize the mistake.

So many people muddle along repeating the same bad practices.

The importance of the opportunity to investigate WHY that "just happened" is often overlooked. The turner must always have a curiosity about everything he is doing - even questioning old practices to be sure they are still the best - and - safe practice.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com

The importance of the opportunity to investigate WHY that "just happened" is often overlooked. The turner must always have a curiosity about everything he is doing - even questioning old practices to be sure they are still the best - and - safe practice.

Both of you hit it. Knowing you screwed up is one thing. Knowing WHY you screwed up and HOW you screwed up is the key to limiting the chances of a repeat of the same mistake. Notice I said limiting not eliminating. While we all would like to think we know what we are doing and are always careful and...and...and... - the fact is, accidents happen. Mistakes happen. Turning 1 year, 10 years or 100 years - anyone can make a mistake. Look at what happened to Lynne Yamaguchi (I think I spelled her name right) about 10 years ago. A professional turner, a turner who knew the dangers of the piece she was working on. Knew what to do to maximize safety. And still had half her face more or less removed by the piece leaving the lathe at speed. There was an AAW article around that time (I think the accident was 2012) where she goes over the entire accident, including what she did that was wrong and led to her accident.

Sort of the same thing I was intending when I made the original post - I screwed up. It could have been a life-changing event. Or not. Either way, it served as a good reminder to think about safety when using the lathe.

Back