• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Alcohol dyes & other cool stuff

Thought I had tried every wood dye made, but recently discovered a new-to-me alcohol dye that is really terrific...dries quickly, absorbs into the wood perfectly, and buffs out to a glimmering shine. The brand name is Prismatic Alcohol Ink. Also discovered another new-to-me outfit that specializes in decorative laser-able plastic and wood sheet...in literally thousands of designs, colors and materials. Their name is Smokey Hill Laser Supplies. The cabochons you see embedded into these tops are lased/cut from materials supplied by Smokey Hills.

Last edited:
First off - your tops are very nice. The colors really stand out.
The PatternPly is very interesting. Do you think it would hold up to use as a floating bottom for a segmented bowl? Some of those patterns are really cool!
What core do you use?

Thanks

First off - your tops are very nice. The colors really stand out.
The PatternPly is very interesting. Do you think it would hold up to use as a floating bottom for a segmented bowl? Some of those patterns are really cool!
What core do you use?

Thanks
So far, I've cut a couple hundred 1.5" diameter cabochons from about 10 different PatternPly design sheets, most with 1/16" thick MDF core backings, and a couple with black acrylic core backing. BTW, you get a bunch of choices on the core...up to 1/4' thick.

After lasing a design on the plastic, and cutting them into rounds, I'll wipe them down with a soft rag and 99% alcohol to remove the smoke soot. On many of these, I rub the lased areas pretty hard to see if there is any delamination...and so far, there has been zero problems. On some of these PatternPly designs, the finish is a dull matte...so I'll add a coat of epoxy resin to give it a nice shine. That should help protect the design in the long run, as well.

LaminateEngravings_6a.jpgLaminateEngravings_7a.jpgLaminateEngravings_2a.jpgLaminateEngravings_4b.jpg

Last edited:
So far, I've cut a couple hundred 1.5" diameter cabochons from about 10 different PatternPly design sheets, most with 1/16" thick MDF core backings, and a couple with black acrylic core backing. BTW, you get a bunch of choices on the core...up to 1/4' thick.

After lasing a design on the plastic, and cutting them into rounds, I'll wipe them down with a soft rag and 99% alcohol to remove the smoke soot. On many of these, I rub the lased areas pretty hard to see if there is any delamination...and so far, there has been zero problems. On some of these PatternPly designs, the finish is a dull matte...so I'll add a coat of epoxy resin to give it a nice shine. That should help protect the design in the long run, as well.

View attachment 67187View attachment 67188View attachment 67189View attachment 67190
Thanks for the info and very nice designs!

Back