• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Alan Weinberg

Now just working part time—urological surgeon—after 40+ years, I’ve collected bowls for 40 years—Ron Kent, Moulthrops, Mode, William Hunter, Vesery, many others. (Wife says too many.) I’ve always wanted to turn bowls, have taken a few classes, and am a complete novice. Bought a used Powermatic 3520 lathe and a band saw, lots of tools, to be picked up soon, and I’m on my way. Joined local woodturning society and went to first meeting. Any and all advice appreciated.

Welcome, Alan-I'm still fairly new at this myself. I learn something useful every time I come to this site. You will love that 3520! Please post pics when you get it up and running.

Highly recommend getting professional instruction. It makes the learning cliff easier to climb. Try to find a mentor in your local club. Thirdly pick a project you like to do and demonstrate it to your local club. Teaching is a great learning experience.

Welcome and safe turning.

Welcome! I’ve always enjoyed “doing” a lot more than “spectating”. While you might not achieve the same level as the expert’s work you enjoy, you will gain a lot more knowledge of the subject and enjoy the journey.

Howdy and welcome from Texas

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Alan, welcome from Chattanooga. Like Doug said above, enjoy the ride. A bunch of great folks around here to help you out with whatever. Cheers! Also—too many bowls, nonsense! Hahaha

Now just working part time—urological surgeon—after 40+ years, I’ve collected bowls for 40 years—Ron Kent, Moulthrops, Mode, William Hunter, Vesery, many others. (Wife says too many.) I’ve always wanted to turn bowls, have taken a few classes, and am a complete novice. Bought a used Powermatic 3520 lathe and a band saw, lots of tools, to be picked up soon, and I’m on my way. Joined local woodturning society and went to first meeting. Any and all advice appreciated.

Wear a full face shield and respirator, and a tough full-front apron, unless you're into interesting and possibly toxic piercings. Watch lots of Youtube videos! That's how I learned when I started out. I put a TV over side of my lathe so I could learn and turn.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Bowls are looking great, Alan! I especially like the third one (plate/platter). What kind of wood? The first vessel looks like it’s really nice in the hands as well.

And, I’m a member of the funnel club a few times over. I suspect we all are :)

Dear Alan,
You refer to a book by Rudolf Dick. It's called Sharpening Woodworking Tools, not Sharpening Woodturning Tools. The latter book is only available via Amazon. Hope this helps, Mike Darlow

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
and not all survive:

View attachment 53568

@Alan Weinberg
While some might rush to judgment assuming the opening in the bottom was a mistake, we both know that the vessel was intended to serve a higher purpose.

admin.php

Back