• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Airstream and Breathe Easy respirators

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have been seriously thinking about getting a PAPR to use during turning because of allergy problems with wood dust. I have not been satisfied with negative respirators because my glasses and face shield both tend to fog up during the hot humid summer weather here. I am considering either the 3M Airstream AS400 or the 3m Breathe Easy system primarily because of the air flow (both have 10 CFM open-port flow) and because they both are available with HEPA filters. I have a couple concerns about the two models:
  1. Since the motor is in the helmet on the Airstream, is it noisy to wear and does the motor add significant weight to the headgear.
  2. Does the hose on the breathe Easy get in the way and cause a problem with the helmet shifting.
I would appreciate comments from anyone who uses either of these two PAPR's.

Bill Boehme

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Hi Bill

I have both the Airstream and the Breathe Easy. Well, I have the Racal AH-5, but it is the same thing as the Airstream. The Airstream is great for dust and other particles, while the Breathe Easy is equipped with charocoal filters for vapors. I have been using the Airstream for about eight years now, and have owned the Breathe Easy for a little less than a year. I bought the Airstream for turning and dust protection, and the Breathe Easy for spraying finishes. With a full beard, the BE is one of the few options I have for proper breathing protection while spraying.

The motor is audible on the Airstream, but it is not noisy, or even annoying. I added the hearing protectors last year for times when I use power sanding and other such noisy stuff, and they actually amplify the motor noise through bone conduction, but it is still not all that bad. The weight of the motor actually provides good balance for the helmet as a whole, and I have worn mine for hours on end without any discomfort. To be exact, I do take it off for breaks from time to time, but I can work all day long with it and not suffer.

I cheaped out on the Breathe Easy and bought a used one, along with the Tyvek face shield. I would have liked the helmet, and will probably add it sometime in the future, but even used it was a huge pile of money. I don't care for the hose that much, but I think that that might be because I am used to a small cord only. It doesn't really get in the way, but it is a pain in the rump roast to try and get everything situated when putting it on. Also, I have to belt the unit on way up high, since I am fairly tall, but have very short legs, making for a long body.

The Breathe Easy will do both particles and vapors, so if you spray finishes, or eat a lot of Tex-Mex :eek: before you turn, vapor protection may be important for you. The filters are going to be more expensive, and if you do not keep them sealed up while not in use, they continue to filter the air whether you are using them or not.

With either unit, there is an "accomodation time" where you are going to get used to having it on. It is not an oppressive thing in either case, and in fact, I was thinking today of how much I don't like turning without mine. My batteries have had it, and I am on the waiting list for new NiMH batteries from 3M. I am trying to stretch their life out until the new ones arrive, and I like to stand in the "throw zone" and hog off wood with my swept back bowl gouge as hard and as fast as possible so that it flies into my face and gets down my shirt, etc. ;) So turning without my helmet is no fun at all. But seriously, my helmet has saved my face and lungs for a long time running and on many specific occasions. The Breathe Easy is for peace of mind, so I do not end up sounding like Darth Vader when I breathe. I think either will do you just fine, but the big decision is how much you want to spend and what features you want to have for all that money. If you have more questions, let me know and I will be glad to try and answer them.

Bill

-e-

starting today, on the far side of the moon
Website
www.Studio-E-Artworks.com
bill: i have one of the early 3M Airstreams (AS-200) -- it has really saved my lungs over the years, and was one of my wisest purchases. i would recommend this product, especially to those with lung/allergy issues.

however there are some issues for me. with my injured neck, the weight of the helmet with motor can be a burden, especially after prolonged use.

and on hot days, the motor can't keep up with me; the airflow just isn't enough. however, i've heard this has been corrected with the new motor design on the AS-400. I will probably update mine with the new motor.

also, the battery life couldn't keep up with my needs. but, i've heard the new batteries are much better as well.

since the entire system has replacement parts, it has great longevity stats! and makes for a very entertaining halloween costume -- scares away most dogs and cats :>)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks, Bill, you have provided me with a wealth of information that is much more than I anticipated getting and it really is beneficial to get a comparison from someone who actually uses both. The Tex-Mex dilema has crossed my mind and it would be sad if I protected myself from one serious health risk only to be done in by another of my own doing.

One of the members of my club has a Racal unit that is similar to the 3M AirMate and may actually be closer to the Triton. He said that he actually prefers the negative pressure respirators that have a little flapper valve to aid in exhaling without steaming things up too much. He says that his Racal unit seems to him to be too cumbersome. I think that there is a problem with a stiff hose that is always shifting the helmet around.

Since I plan to do some finish spraying when I eventually expand my shop, the Breathe Easy is something to consider, but I also have the cheap rubber mask with the two cannisters that make me look like something from "A Bug's Life".

I think that I could easily get adapted to using a PAPR since I already use a full face CPAP at night. If I could somehow just rig my CPAP to use it while turning, it would be really cost effective unless it would shorten the life of the machine.

I am still on the horns of a dilemma.

ibex.jpg

Bill

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks, -e-.

The airflow is what made me lean towards the AS-400 rather than the AS-200. The new units use NiMH batteries which far outperform the older NiCad batteries. The only member of our club with PAPR experience had led me to suspect that the Airstream might be very noisy and heavy, but my understanding is that it only a few ounces havier than the same helmet sans motor that the Breathe Easy uses.

The recommendations that I have seen on this forum all indicate that Airware America has the best prices. Are there any other recommendations for places to buy?

Bill

-e-

starting today, on the far side of the moon
Website
www.Studio-E-Artworks.com
Timing is everything isn't it. I'm also in the market for the same thing. Thanks for your information and opinons.

The real reason I'm replying is to "suggest" the following.
Have you talked to a battery supplier about having them build a NiMh pack for you? I dive and use HID lights. I've had VERY GOOD results with custom packs. They are not expensive. If you're interested try calling or emailing http://www.batterystation.com/

Bill,

I purchased the Airstream AS200 a couple of months ago after having breathing problems caused by turning spalted timber. (Bill Grumbine's suggestion) The motor makes a little whir sound but I don't find it objectionable. I like the protection the face shield provides when bark comes flying off when roughing out a project. Doesn't seem at all heavy. I sometimes forget that I have it on which can be funny when a 100 pound dog wakes up and sees you with it on..

Hope this helps..

Gerry

Another option?

Not hijacking, I promise... but noticed you didn't include the Trend airshield (nor did any of the responses).

I like the idea (and the fact it's half the price of the airstream), though when I tried one on before, it seemed a little top heavy to me- enough to make me hold off. I'm back in the market for a powered respirator again, however- so am interested in any comments on this option, as well.

Jeff

The AirShield felt a little top heavy for about the first 10 or 15 minutes. After that you don't notice it. It has minimal noise, kind of like a white noise generator. You don't hear it after a couple of minutes. I have had mine for about a month. I'm mildly asthmatic, and I love it. I no longer wheeze after turning. I had never seen any of the others to compare it to before purchase.

JimQ

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I'm with JimQ, the Trend Airshield is very nice. Stops the dust and flying debrie. No hearing or head, but the lathe is quite and I don't use it cutting trees

I have been very happy with my Airstream.
The only thing I would add is to keep in mind that 3M only packages and ships these units minus the battery charger, which is needed! :eek: The charger is about $150.00

Make sure exactly what you are getting for the price you are quoted.

Bill

Airstream

Hi Bill,

I was wondering if you use the Elastomeric Face Seal on your airstream.
I just got the airstream and It is good but the face sealer that comes with it seems a bit cheesy and lets a lot of dust in.

I am trying to find places to buy the replacement filters and Elastomeric Face Seal . If you know of any suppliers, I need the small size Elastomeric Face Seal and am having a hard time finding any size except ,med/large.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Happy Turning!
Liz

boehme said:
Thanks, -e-.

The airflow is what made me lean towards the AS-400 rather than the AS-200. The new units use NiMH batteries which far outperform the older NiCad batteries. The only member of our club with PAPR experience had led me to suspect that the Airstream might be very noisy and heavy, but my understanding is that it only a few ounces havier than the same helmet sans motor that the Breathe Easy uses.

The recommendations that I have seen on this forum all indicate that Airware America has the best prices. Are there any other recommendations for places to buy?

Bill

Website
www.vinceswoodnwonders.com
This is a good thread. Thanks Bill. I am allergic to Cocobolo. Cocobolo will make itch and I loose oil in my facial skin. BAD! At first it was not like this but after the secon or third time turning the wood these symptoms started. (I still feel bad for the girl that I had just started dating during this time and all the mean things I said to here before I releized it was the wood making me itch but that is a different story.) Anyways, for those using a unit like the Trend do you beleive wearing one of these units would allow someone to work with Cocoblo wood without incurring allergic symptoms? I would sure like to be able to work with that wood again. Vince

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
crashgtr said:
I am trying to find places to buy the replacement filters and Elastomeric Face Seal . If you know of any suppliers, I need the small size Elastomeric Face Seal and am having a hard time finding any size except ,med/large.
Liz,

The only online suppliers that I know about are Airware America and Enviro Safety Products.

If you are referring to the Tyvek face seal, I think there is only one size since it has elastic to seal underneath the chin. I am surprised that dust is getting into the air that you breathe (the area in front of your face, if that is what you are talking about) since it has a positive pressure with respect to surrounding air and all air flow should be clean air flowing across your face and then out. Check the filter to verify that it is installed correctly and has not come loose. If you are talking about the back and sides of your helmet, then that would be expected since air is being drawn up through the filter at the back of the helmet so if the air is rather dusty, a lot of dust will collect there and should be blown out daily if necessary. Even though you are using the Airstream, it still is a good idea to use other means to keep the shop air as clean as possible so that the filter will stay clean longer and just to keep the shop environment clean. For instance, I would not sand on the lathe without having a dust collector or shop vac pick-up chute placed very close by.

Bill

Last edited:
Breathe Easy Airstream

Hi all,

I acquired an old BE Airstream, intended to use it for Environmental purposes and it was hard for me to find where to service the unit.
The unit i have was manufactured by RACAL AIRSTREAM INC. and it has a SP3 filter hooked to it in addition to a battery that dont work.
any replies about where to service it or to get new batteries will be appreciated.
Noaman

Back