• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A visit to England question

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
We will be visiting the great London area next year, with day trips out in the country side.

One of the things SWMBO has tasked me with, is to ensure I will not miss any woodworking/lathe/etc things to see

I already have the The V&A on this list, any other reccomendations?

TTFN
Ralph

The V&A was my favorite museum on my trip to England earlier this year. You won't find a lot of woodturning, but you will find some, and you will probably find lots of inspiration for turning. I particularly liked the Asian galleries and the Islamic Middle East galleries. When I was there, several galleries were closed, but I still took the family back for a second visit before we left London.

I'd also recommend a visit to the British Museum. There you will find some ancient ceramic pots, alabaster vessels, carvings, etc. that should give any turner plenty of ideas for forms to try on (and for carving, off) the lathe. The collection is rather amazing (and I'm pretty sure that there was no admission charge — a welcome relief from the sticker shock of London food, lodging, etc.). You will also find the Rosetta stone and the Elgin marbles there — historically very significant, but not as interesting to me as other artifacts.

If you like woodcarving, check out some of the churches and look for the carving on pews — the pagan "green man" makes an occasional appearance.

Finally, I found some nice examples of treen in the antique shops on Portobello road.

Be sure to take a digital camera to make a record of things that might inspire you. (Most museums were fine with taking photos — some antique dealers were not.)

Have a great trip.

John

Website
www.turnlinks.com
Bring a defibrillator. The exchange rate can cause heart attacks.

Ed

That, or the VAT! It's as if we charged tourists income tax for money "earned" while while touring the 'States.

Back