• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Request for Finish Advice

I was wondering if anyone might have any advice for a good finish to use a newly turned baby rattle. It must be something that is food safe and durable as I am sure it will end up in the mouth or absorbing moisture from tiny hands. It might be that Salad Bowl finish or Tung Oil will be sufficient but maybe there is something else that would work better.

I have ensured that the rattle was well sanded, no sharp corners, and foid of any splinter threats.

Thanks

Ian

finish advise

When it comes to babies, and their ability to gnaw on things, I would suggest that the best finish might be nothing! Sand it and let life happen. The ability to wash the rattle is important, I would think, and not worrying about finishes is best. Philip, grandpa to new born twins

I look at turned rattles differently than I used to. I used to like and make the ones with rings until I had my first toddler airway obstruction in the field. Now I even question whether anything with small moveable or removeable parts should be in the hands of an infant or toddler.

Bare would be my choice, and detergent wash. Second would be something like walnut oil or even poly thinned to give some moisture resistance while not building on the surface. You can remind mom that the bare wood contains no more harm than she puts on it by scrubbing it with an unsanitary dishcloth.

Ian

I use Mahoney walnut oil & his wax on my rattles.

Which style/construction are you making? I make the design found on Nick Cook's website. Its big enough to avoid choking and leaves alot of room for turning design freedom. I have 38 nieces and nephews so somebody is always making a baby and they all get a rattle from Uncle Frank. Then the kids want to buy them for thier expecting freinds.

Frank

Nick Cook's article appeared a couple of years ago in American Woodturner. That article, "Heirlooms in the Making - Turned Baby Rattles," is one of the sample articles available for download on this site here . It's near the bottom of the page.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I do fell I need something that won't absorb the germs. But idea of mineral oil or salad bowl oil sounds the best.

Oh, some many choices!

Rattle

I saw no mention of the wood used....that would concern me more than germs or a bit of baby drool...let's give the mini-folks time to build immunities to disease. Some of the woods we use are toxic. Might want to be a tad careful about them and some of the glues and dyes or coloring agents. God Bless new life!!!!! :D :D

AZSalsman said:
Thanks for the input. I do fell I need something that won't absorb the germs. But idea of mineral oil or salad bowl oil sounds the best.

There used to be a piece on the UC Davis website about the advantages of a wooden cutting board VS a plastic one. One of the points was a distinct lower number of bacteria found during testing. The researcher felt it was something with wood.

I use a little oil to pop the grain. Beeswax would work. Film finishes would not be recommended. I read about Nick's design. I do a similar design without the split or the router work.

Turn a sphere about 1.75 inches diameter. Hollow like a Ornament, place some popcorn or Indian Corn kernels in the sphere. Turn a handle with a tenon to fit your hollowing hole. Turn a base about 1.75 inches on the end of the handle. (Makes it look like a plastic rattle design I remember my little sister having 45 years ago, like a dumbell.) The base can be a goblet style base, a sphere, an oval. The large ends make sure one can't be forced into a mouth, much less swallowed.

Include a paper with appropriate info such a species, finish, advice about sanding rough spots if the baby really gets with it.

John :)

What I have found is simple is best for a baby rattle. I turned a simple lidded box with a very tight fit. Put a small bead in it that I had turned. Then glued it together really well. No finish at all. The wood was mesquite, so it was very stable and took the biting & sucking with no warpage. My 2.5 yr old son still kicks it around for fun. It's nothing pretty to look at, but he really loved the sound of it when he was younger. One rule of thumb is it should be big enough not to fit inside a toilet paper tube.

stnick said:
There used to be a piece on the UC Davis website about the advantages of a wooden cutting board VS a plastic one. One of the points was a distinct lower number of bacteria found during testing. The researcher felt it was something with wood.

I use a little oil to pop the grain. Beeswax would work. Film finishes would not be recommended. I read about Nick's design. I do a similar design without the split or the router work.

Turn a sphere about 1.75 inches diameter. Hollow like a Ornament, place some popcorn or Indian Corn kernels in the sphere. Turn a handle with a tenon to fit your hollowing hole. Turn a base about 1.75 inches on the end of the handle. (Makes it look like a plastic rattle design I remember my little sister having 45 years ago, like a dumbell.) The base can be a goblet style base, a sphere, an oval. The large ends make sure one can't be forced into a mouth, much less swallowed.

Include a paper with appropriate info such a species, finish, advice about sanding rough spots if the baby really gets with it.

John :)

The rattle that I made is out of maple - pretty safe I think. I followed a tutorial I saw somewhere utilizing captive rings (a nice challenge). But I like your design and will have to give it a try.

Back