• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

400 grit CBN wheel

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
FYI and for what it's worth, craft Supplies had a new wheel here at the AAW symposium. 400 grit with side grind. $235. They say it's better than others because it's electrostatic ally coated. I don't have any knowledge on that so no opinion.

But I wasn't aware of a CBN wheel that fine, so for anyone interested. Or maybe this isn't groundbreaking stuff in which case sorry for brining up old news :)

Mark

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I'm fairly certain the D-Ways are electrostatically done also

400 grit would be great for carving or hand chisels

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I think that they might have gotten their terminology a little confused. Most, if not all, CBN wheels are electroplated which is a method of plating a metal onto a substrate and is different from being electrostatic ally charged which is what happens to synthetics in a clothes dryer or a cat's fur when stroked with an amber rod (don't ask, I don't know where to find an amber rod or why anybody would even think of using one to stroke a cat's fur).

The metal that is plated onto the wheel is nickel. It is plated to a thickness that is about 2/3 the size of the CBN crystals so that they are trapped in the plating.

almost anything with grit uses static electricity to coat it

FYI and for what it's worth, craft Supplies had a new wheel here at the AAW symposium. 400 grit with side grind. $235. They say it's better than others because it's electrostatic ally coated. I don't have any knowledge on that so no opinion.

But I wasn't aware of a CBN wheel that fine, so for anyone interested. Or maybe this isn't groundbreaking stuff in which case sorry for brining up old news :)

Mark

Mark,

I have slept a bunch of times and don't remember the details but things like sandpaper use static electricity or similar to draw the grit to the paper and then to turn it pointy end up. I assume anything that uses grit or sharp particles uses a similar method but I don't know.

Somebody, maybe Johannes Michelsen, was offering the very fine grit CBN wheel a few months ago I noticed. Is interesting news, have to see how they work. I think you should buy one so we can try it out! :D

Tuco misses you!

Hu

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Mark,

I have slept a bunch of times and don't remember the details but things like sandpaper use static electricity or similar to draw the grit to the paper and then to turn it pointy end up. I assume anything that uses grit or sharp particles uses a similar method but I don't know.

Somebody, maybe Johannes Michelsen, was offering the very fine grit CBN wheel a few months ago I noticed. Is interesting news, have to see how they work. I think you should buy one so we can try it out! :D

Tuco misses you!

Hu

I might when I have the cash Hu. Seriously. Give the little guy a pat on the head for me.

:)

Mark

Back