• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Alan Weinberg for "Ash hollow form" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 14, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

4 different woods for a Sunday casual turning morning

Nice spread! Could you describe these and what you think of each?

I love Osage (have a good supply), don't much like Padauk (because it always changed color quickly), never heard of Etimoe, and find Black Limba a little too soft for my tastes.
I'll look up Etimoe. (Nice to see others making good use of the Wood Database!

JKJ

Edit: hey, I just noticed we have the same kitchen countertops. My wife picked that when we bought this place in '03.

Thanks for your comments Gerald. I was not intending to do a comparison at all, it just turned out that I had worked on the small burl from the osage and a small shipment of discounted blanks arrived from turningblanks.net. I just wanted to try wood that I had never purchased as all my turnings are found timbers. The etimoe was nicer than black limba. Because they were small and 2" tall I just made the most convenient shapes. I really like the padauk but ill see how it colors, i guess something like purple heart browns up with time. So I am going to look out for more paduak on sale at various outlets and try a more ornamental shape, perhaps a hollow form.

.., i guess something like purple heart browns up with time…

Thanks, II did look up the Etimoe and read that it has one of highest strength-to-weight ratio of nearly any wood in the world! but most commonly sold as veneers. Interesting.

I agree that most purpleheart doesn’t stay purple. Years ago I did a year-long test and came to the conclusion that, at least with the specific pieces I had, both sunlight and oxidation contributed to the color change. So a good air-tight finish and keeping it off a sunny window sill might help!

However, some time ago I discovered that purpleheart, apparently from certain locations in Mexico, retains it’a color for a long time. For example, I have planks of purple heart and those I got from one source have stayed purple on the surface while the others have turned brown. And things I made years ago from the Mexican purpleheart remain a vibrant purple.

Since you use the wood-database.com you’ve probably read the article about how to keep exotic woods from changing color, but in case some haven’t, it’s I think it’s worth reading (along with some of their other great articles!

If you ever find yourself wandering around East TN (I’m not far from Knoxville), look me up - I may have some species for you to add to your small bowl collection! (Last time I did an inventory I had over 125 species in the shop. A friend of mine said I was just getting started - his list has over 300 species. He must be crazier than me if that’s possible)

I particularly like turning olive, holly, cocobolo, black&white ebony, african blackwood, mahogany, sapele, ERC, black cherry, figured walnut, goncolo alves, dogwood, and almost anything highly fugured!

Besides padauk, another least favorite is wenge.

JKJ

Last edited:
Back