• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3520B replaced???

A while back Woodcraft dropped the Jet mini lathe from their website. They claimed that their warehouse had discontinued stocking it. A couple weeks later a new model of the mini was announced by Jet.

I noticed that the Woodcraft website no longer lists the Powermatic 3520B lathe. They claim that their warehouse has discontinued stocking it. Is Powermatic about to release an update to the 3520B? A 3520C???

Anyone heard anything?

Ed

Well, they do call it a "cup" center, so perhaps a C or even a D model? :rolleyes:

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Just talked to WMH rep - he stated to his knowledge - this is the current model, they are not 'fixin' to release a newer one. He said they currently have 80 in stock. :cool2:

Given the life span of the 3520A, the fact that there are no major "oops" with the 3520B, and that they just released the B approx a year and a half ago, I can't imagine they would be in a hurry to come out with a C. Maybe Woodcraft realized that they couldn't sell it at the margins they were hoping for with all the other online retailers, etc. ?

I just figured since I was about to buy one they would probably come out with a new model in a couple of weeks. The only "improvement" in a 3520C that I would hate to miss out on is a "hands-free" spindle lock with power disconnect.

Even though Woodcraft Corporate has disavowed the 3520B, my local woodcraft (not copany owned) stocks it and was very competitive pricewise.

Ed

KEW

I have seen the PM appear, disappear, and reappear from Woodcraft's website. I couldn't make sense of it, but availability from the local store has always been maintained.

I purchased my P4224 through woodcraft. It is not on the web site or the in their order book. They were happy to order it and the out board assembly. I was able to pick them up at the store, No shipping charges. It, too, is a franchise and not a company store.

KEW

Aaron G+11 said:
I purchased my P4224 through woodcraft. It is not on the web site or the in their order book.

I just checked and today (at least at 5:28 EST) the PM4224 is on their website. The 3520 is not.

Rockler also has the 4224 but not the 3520.

This is awfully good fodder for the rumor mill, but I have seen this in the past. For some reason, the 4224 usually is on the websites but the 3520 is off and on.

By Golly, Your right.

Wow, They did cut me a sweet deal on the price compared to the one on the website. :D

It always pays to give the local folks a shot at the price.

I got my 3520B from the nearby Woodcraft shortly after they came out. They had to order it for me and I paid no shipping. And, while I've heard nothing but good about Toolnut there have been lots of agravated buyers from Amazon on large items such as a lathe because the shipping date(s) keep getting set back. Sounds like a lack of stock in these situations.

When I can get a similar price I'll usually buy local. It supports the local businessman, saves me the shipping and gets me support when things go wrong. The folks at my Woodcraft are friendly, knowledgeable and get first opportunity when I'm buying. And....they meet (or nearly so) the online prices for me.

Sky

Ed, I was told Woodcraft doesn't stock the 3520 in their warehouse. Each unit is shipped when ordered directly from Powermatic to the store. Each Woodcraft store has the option to order & stock extra units in their location. By the way, I yesterday the 3520 was missing from our Woodcraft. I heard it went into your truck. Enjoy!! :D

Lee - I've got one happy truck right now. I decided to reorganize my shop when I got home yesterday so the lathe is still in the truck. It will make it's grand entrance to the shop this morning. Just have to find some red carpet.........

The price Toolnut quoted me for the 3520B was $149 less than my local Woodcraft or Osolnik, but Toolnut has a very high $150 residential delivery charge. Anyway, when you factor in delivery charges, sales tax and everything else, I paid a $60 premium to buy it at my local Woodcraft. For that $60 I got to see the machine and check it out before purchase. I also have local support if anything goes wrong.

At the local Woodcraft I dealt with people that were experienced woodturners and I know that after sale support will be excellent and only 20 miles away.

At Toolnut I talked with an experienced salesperson. They definitely weren't woodturners and they didn't really know anything about the 3520B other than what they could read off the spec sheet. They don't stock and ship from their location. They just take the order and send it on to Powermatic for fufillment. I was left with the feeling that any problems with the lathe / shipment would result in my being stuck trying to sort things out between the shipper and Powermatic. $60 wasn't enough of a savings to win the sale from me.

Ed

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
When I bought my 3520A through Amazon, I had shipping issues. Admittedly, part of the problem was the way Powermatic crates the 3520A and the location of the delicate electronics.

It was resolved with a new lathe, but I had to deal with both Powermatic (who was really good, BTW) and Amazon who was more difficult and the trucking company.

I think you made the right choice for what its worth.

Congratulations on your new purchase! Now go make some shavings.

Ed_McDonnell said:
Lee - I've got one happy truck right now. I decided to reorganize my shop when I got home yesterday so the lathe is still in the truck. It will make it's grand entrance to the shop this morning. Just have to find some red carpet.........

Red carpet and some good friend with strong backs? Or save the money on the carpet for some good dollies? :) You lucky dog . . .

The lathe is in and after making a pile of shavings I am just awestruck at how much better this lathe is than my prior lathe in every conceivable aspect.

My "shop" is my garage. Not having to deal with any stairs, I was able to move the lathe in by myself. The only part of the lathe that I couldn't lift by myself was the lathe bed. I used a shop crane to lift it out of the truck bed and hold it while I attached the legs. The headstock was close to being a gut buster, but I was able to lift and carry it. I wouldn't want to try and carry the headstock up or down any stairs though..........

Ed

Ed_McDonnell said:
The lathe is in and after making a pile of shavings I am just awestruck at how much better this lathe is than my prior lathe in every conceivable aspect.

My "shop" is my garage. Not having to deal with any stairs, I was able to move the lathe in by myself. The only part of the lathe that I couldn't lift by myself was the lathe bed. I used a shop crane to lift it out of the truck bed and hold it while I attached the legs. The headstock was close to being a gut buster, but I was able to lift and carry it. I wouldn't want to try and carry the headstock up or down any stairs though..........

Ed

Having helped a friend move one I am impressed that you did that yourself. Have fun . . . .

Website
www.perfectwoodworks.com
Got mine through Tool Nut and had nothing but good things happen. Me and a buddy each order one and got free shipping into our shops! :D

They were shipped directly from Powermatic and arrived on the day we expected them. I recommend them, but definitely get your bottom dollar price first.

Back