• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3420B tailstock problem

(Sorry, that should be 3520b problem)

My tailstock quill suddenly became quite difficult to turn. I tried to disassemble, but only got as far as the quill threading off the threaded rod and stopping. I was able to get it reseated with a slight tap against a block of wood against the quill.

I am not able to take the quill out completely, and it appears there is a buildup of gunk (could be grease, wax, etc) around the quill opening.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Without seeing it, it is hard to say what might be in there causing a problem (if anything).

You could try unscrewing and removing the locking handle and the brass insert that locks the quill. They should easily come out. You will be able to see if something is jammed in there.

You could try loosening the pin that acts as a key with the quill (on the back side of the tailstock). Maybe that is binding the quill (or something that got in the channel)?

As a last resort, if you are able to get the quill to unthread than you might be able to tap it out using the knockout bar. You just need something in the quill to work against. You could try your livecenter or something else with a MT2 taper. If the knockout bar knocks out the livecenter before it knocks out the unthreaded quill maybe banging isn't a good idea.

That's all I got. Good luck

Ed

I don't have a "3520" but, on the tail stock of most lathes I've worked on, once the quill is removed and the turning handle, wheel (or whatever is used to crank the quill shaft) is removed, a clip ring on the end of the threaded shaft can be removed to allow the threaded portion of the shaft to be pulled from the same opening the quill was pulled from. Be sure to have the quill lock/stop removed from its hole to avoid conflict between the threads on the quill shaft and the lock/stop contact points.
Your description suggests to me that you have a collection of debris in the tail stock housing that, once cleaned and re-oiled, should run free.
Hope that helps.....

Footnote:

Yep; here's a link that should help:

http://content.powermatic.com/manuals/m_1352001.pdf

Last edited:
Tailstock problem

Dave, If infact the quill is bogging down with "gunk" and you can't get the quill out you might try spraying a degreaser or wd40 to eliminate the problem. Be sure to relube after you have cleaned the quill. Good luck!
Rich

Thanks for your suggestions. Turned out the problem was that the small screw that seats in the keyway on the quill had vibrated loose. The quill had rotated in the tailstock (which is round except for a flat spot where the keyway is located) and the screw had scored the quill itself.

I was able to get the quill out and file the ridges down between calls to Powermatic tech support (excellent, by the way!).

Since the lathe is quite new, Powermatic volunteered to send me a new quill which should be here sometime this week.

Appreciate the help here though.

Dave

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
You might try Locktite

on the screw. My 3520A has a dowel underneath the quill, not a screw. Mine vibrated loose repeatedly. So far Blue Locktite has held the dowel in. I would maybe use a milder Locktite on your screw that allows it to be removed fairly easily.

on the screw. My 3520A has a dowel underneath the quill, not a screw. Mine vibrated loose repeatedly. So far Blue Locktite has held the dowel in. I would maybe use a milder Locktite on your screw that allows it to be removed fairly easily.

Thanks Jerry. I might give that a try. So far, I haven't had a repeat of the problem with the new tailstock quill that PM sent me.

Back