• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Zinssers Bulls Eye Shellac Spray: Dewaxed?

Zinssers Seal Coat is dewaxed and I understand that Zinssers Bulls Eye Shellac in a CAN is not. However, the label on the Bulls Eye Shellac SPRAY says that it is wax free. Is this accurate?

Tx

Several years ago I hosted Bonnie Klein for a small group Hands-On for our Golden Horseshoe Woodturners Guild. In her list of required items was an aerosol can of the Zinssers Shellac. I had not taken notice of the wax free status of it but it is the handiest way to have accesss to shellac when you need it. For example, sealing around a crack when using CA. I just spray a bit on some Bounty paper towel and wipe it on. It is a very easy way to apply a minimal amount. Ocassionally I use it for finishing but had not considered as a sealer. One more use for having it around.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I've been using the Zinsser aerosol can shellac as a sealer under other finishes for many, many years. Seems compatible with most or all finishes. About 15 years ago I ran into the owner of the company at a local woodworking show (the company is less than ten miles from where I live). I asked him if I should switch from the aerosol to the brush on shellac. He said they are basically the same stuff except the spray version is a lot thinner, and if I was happy with the spray version I should continue to use it. I used to use a lot of Waterlox as a finish. By using the shellac as a sealer I would only need one or two coats of the oil finish instead of many coats to build the oil finish. BTW - my favorite way to use it is to spray a little on some old pantyhose/stockings and apply it to my piece. No, I don't wear pantyhose! :D If the piece is relatively small I apply it while the lathe is turning slowly. When dry I scuff sand with #0000 steel wool or very fine abrasive before applying my final finish.

Zinsser shellac is my go-to finish when I want "shiny". It seems to be compatible with most other types of finish. I even put it on over linseed oil after it soaks in and polymerizes. The spray can is great for a quick touch-up. I can sand between coats after a few hours, and get a nice "build". Polish with auto body polish and get a mirror finish.

Back