• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Young Turners

I posted this on the WoW website and thought it also belongs here. There are many who participate to pass on our knowledge to youth, lets reach out to more. Here is my post:

I finally was able to read the winter issue of American Woodturner on a long flight to Phoenix (I was in the back, not up front doing the important stuff). On page 9 and 10 was an article written by my own club president, Chuck Kemp, about the Central Ohio Woodturners Young Turners Program. I am proud to know that our club offered an experience to these young turners about something that they otherwise most likely would not have. The kids are the stars of this program, the most important people, but knowing the individuals that made up the mentors, teachers, and supporters makes it that more special for me. They are indicative of the AAW, AAW members, and their willingness to give and share.

I'm also proud of all the young turners that all our AAW chapters have mentored. This is a good time to start considering a Young Turners Program with your own AAW chapter if you don't have one running already. The deadline for the EOG's is rapidly approaching (Jan 15th) which could help jump start your own chapter's program. Do you have a demonstrator coming in that could do a day with the kids? Could your program encourage its participants to attend a national or regional symposium? There are endless avenues to reach out to the kids.

I would also like to hear about anyone's recent youth programs, what the mentors and teachers learned, what they liked the most, what the kids liked the most, things that might be changed in your own programs to make them run better. If there is enough response, I want to write/submit an article to AW. You can reach me through WoW, the Young Turners page on the AAW site, or my own website.

Keep the youth involved,
Dave Bowers

Back