• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

You know you're addicted to woodturning when...

Website
www.FWCWT.org
A few of these were posted on Woodnet. I thought I would bring them over here for all to enjoy.

You know you're addicted to woodturning when...

You buy a bandsaw that costs more than your lathe... for the sole purpose of rounding out bowl blanks.

You feel this unexplainable emptiness every time you throw a piece of wood in the fire...

You have some really nice power tools in your shop... and you struggle to remember the last time you used them.

You have a hard time finding a pen around the house that isn't made of wood... and you give your wife and kids nasty looks any time they pick up a plastic pen.

Your wife doesn't bother to call around looking for you any more. She just goes out to the shop when she needs you for anything.

You nearly caused a car accident because you thought you saw some logs on the side of the road…

You name your kids
“Chuck†and “Burlâ€Â...

You name your dogs
“Banjoâ€Â, “Jetâ€Â, “Oliverâ€Â, or “Spaltyâ€Â

At your spouse’s suggestion, you put a telephone, TV, and refrigerator in your shop... so you don't have to "carry sawdust into the house all day."

You really - honestly - whole-heartedly - are torn between taking that vacation in Hawaii and buying that new big-bad lathe with the 24" swing.

You think that any round or cylindrical household item can - and should - be replaced by something you make... from table legs to the toilet paper roll holder.

You’ve walked around your neighborhood – checking your neighbors’ trees for burls.

Golf clubs? Yeah… they’re around here somewhere.

Heat on in the shop? /I]Absolutely. Heat on in the house? “Go put on a sweater.â€Â

Feel free to add as you see fit. :D

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I agree with everything except the Hawiian vaccation. Why would you even consider that when thiers a lathe to be had. Unless of course you could score some good hawiian wood while your there.

john lucas said:
I agree with everything except the Hawiian vaccation. Why would you even consider that when thiers a lathe to be had. Unless of course you could score some good hawiian wood while your there.

You thinking of redefining the term "Maui Wowie", John? :D

Add:

1. Regardless of your destination, you throw a chainsaw and supplies in your trunk when going out on windy days.

2. Your friends and neighbors call to tell you about downed trees they've seen that day while commuting, even if the tree happens to be 40 miles away, and then you go out and try to find it.

Last edited:
john lucas said:
Mark Do you think I can get a chainsaw through the new X-ray system.

Only if you spike your hair, carry a large-bore handgun and a quart or two of flamable liquid, and can make your eyes look that that guy from Canada last Summer. Put that all together and you'll be a shoe-in.

:rolleyes:

m

Do you think I can get a chainsaw through the new X-ray system.

I saw a guy try to take a chainsaw into the airport at DFW about two years ago.... :confused:
He just couldn't seem to understand why he couldn't.... :eek:
I could smell the gas 15 feet away and the chain was still on the saw.
He and his wife were in a HEATED discussion with the ticket agent. I guess they were trying to check it in as baggage, without a case or anything.

I left before they either got arrested or gave up.

Wonder which happened.. :rolleyes:

What Happened

CMAturner said:
I saw a guy try to take a chainsaw into the airport at DFW about two years ago.... :confused:
He just couldn't seem to understand why he couldn't.... :eek:
I could smell the gas 15 feet away and the chain was still on the saw.
He and his wife were in a HEATED discussion with the ticket agent. I guess they were trying to check it in as baggage, without a case or anything.

I left before they either got arrested or gave up.

Wonder which happened.. :rolleyes:

Wasn't that the Texas Airport Chainsaw Massacre?

:d :D

the biggest fight you've had with your wife in years is whether to use your vacation to go to Disneyworld or the AAW symposium. AAW could solve this one by having the symposium in Orlando every year.

Website
www.chakajo.com

You name your kids
“Chuck” and “Burl”...

Guilty. My 15 month old is named Rowan. Rowan is mountain tree found mostly in Scotland and Wales. It's a very hardy tree, and has had many uses for man over the centuries. Yeah, I'm bad, but at least I have a wife who's like the devil's advocate when it comes to turning. :D

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
-- your wish lists for Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries consist completely of turning tools and accessories!

-- you see a new power tool that could be used for turning, and you think it's a good idea to get two -- just in case your husband might need to use it at the same time!

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
....you give your relatives a list of stock numbers from Craft Supplies and Packard Woodworks as your "Christmas Wish List".....:D

.... not that I've done that or anything.....:eek:. well maybe for only a few years...

(.....maybe more than a few?);)

Rob

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Hello, My Name Is George and I'm a Woodturning Addict

We planned our first vacation in years to include a visit to the Honolulu Woodturners meeting
I found some free "roadkill" and borrowed a chainsaw to cut it to shipping sizes. I spent almost $200 in postage sending wood home from the trip (much of the wood was free for the taking at the meeting - I TRIED not to be a pig - MAHALO to the generous local woodturners).
I identify with each of you, and all who have not yet admitted their addiction (thank you for sharing), HOWEVER

This is NOT, I repeat, NOT a recovery program for me. I plan to STAY addicted!!

R

Ron Sardo

You visit multiple woodturning forums and recognize everyone's name... and realize you are not the only one with this addiction.

addicted

You wake up in the morning thinking you can't wait to get out to the shop to see if your inlay has dried and you can start cleaning up the edge.
You clean up the shavings only to see a clean start for more.
Your computer has nothing but woodworking suppliers as favorites.
Know it all, just started turning 6 months ago and do all those things. GAry

Your talking in your sleep and rambling on about Amboyna and Afzelia only to get a slap and asked "Ok, who is she??????????"

So no one else has had discussions with TSA about an interchangable lathe tool handle that you stuck in your wifes carry on bag??

Not that I had a problem or anything -- the surprise factor on my wifes face was probably worth the trip back down to check the handle.

We planned our first vacation in years to include a visit to the Honolulu Woodturners meeting
I found some free "roadkill" and borrowed a chainsaw to cut it to shipping sizes. I spent almost $200 in postage sending wood home from the trip.

George,
You should have finished sending it the additional 40 miles east.:D

p.s. I called while you were away, and was promptly informes that you are an excellent surfer. (I used to have a set of Dewey Weber Performers)

Jerry

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
George,
You should have finished sending it the additional 40 miles east.

p.s. I called while you were away, and was promptly informes that you are an excellent surfer. (I used to have a set of Dewey Weber Performers)

Jerry
:eek: :( "Used to have" doesn't help me much! Where are they now???
I would trade a LOT of Hawaiian wood to get vintage Performers!
I surf OK, but have a lot of fun...
I would have sent you some wood, but I really didn't get enough to feel generous, just yet. Got some nice maple if you want it though :cool2: :cool:

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
So no one else has had discussions with TSA about an interchangable lathe tool handle that you stuck in your wifes carry on bag??

Not that I had a problem or anything -- the surprise factor on my wifes face was probably worth the trip back down to check the handle.

YIKES!!! If I did that to MY SWMBO, I'd be sleeping with the fishes.

Back