• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

You gotta be kidding me!!!

Website
www.beyondbark.com
So get this, My father in law was working in the shop the other day and just finished rounding a nice 12X12X4 hunk of spalted maple on the band saw. Got it close to round, drilled a pilot hole of the screw chuck and went to mount it up. put the screw center into the vicmarc chuck and twisted on the blank, turned around to grab his bowl gouge and the blank fell off the lathe. Turns out the screw had snapped off 3/4 of the way in the blank. it seems rather unusual for the screw to break. Well I guess it is good that it feel off before he turned the lathe on! He called me to help and I ended up having to drill out the screw and luckily the other chuck we have has a larger diameter screw.

I also had a vicmarc screw center break. I was starting a natural edge and the uneven natural part was not touching the chuck all the way around. I got a bad catch and popped the screw right off. Fortunately no damage to anything except the screw.

Stan

Had one snap off with a mean catch on a SN2 and had another one snap on a barracuda chuck from PSI. I don't and will not use screws again.

Now's the time to add a new chuck. For $70 you can get one of these in your flavor of thread and rough in confidence.

Attachments

• Chuck-Sheet.jpg
    Chuck-Sheet.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 371
Looks like one of those pin chucks where the little pins are set into a recess and, because they rest in a beveled channel, tighten as the friction between the wood and the pins increases while the piece turns.

Last edited:
Get a oneway talon.... Jimmy Clewes likes them because the screws that come with them are tough and don't break like some others do. And he would know... his policy is to turn a piece 750 RPM faster than is conventionally thought safe ;)

Back