• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

YGIAGAM

This for those of you who love Rube Goldberg and riddles without a definitive answer.
Anyone still here?

I got this from the son of a woodturner who is now working at the heavenly lathe. The two parts were made to his specs and if there were more parts, they have left the building.

The square part reminds me of that of a sphere turning jig - the piece with the handle less so.

* The large hole with the black arrow on the square part is 30 mm corresponding to the tool post of his lathe.
* The hole inside the tube welded to the handle part is the same diameter as the row of holes on the spare part (red arrow).
* The row of holes on the square part at the green arrow are all threaded.

The only hint that the son could give me was that he seemed to remember his dad talking about hollowing, not sphere turning.

Anyone with a guess - for instance on what was supposed to sit in the hole in the cylinder part?

Lars
1a.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It's not a metal spinning tool rest. It appears to me to be some sort of concave hollowing or shaping system.

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
Lars, this is intriguing.

Looks well made and well thought out.

It’s not for metal spinning.
Could be for hollowing perfect spheres.
Set the depth according to the holes. Set the diameter by sliding the bar.

Can you take a pic, with pieces fitted as you think they should be?

The tool mount doesnt make sense to me, yet

Last edited:
A metal spinning tool rest would not have threaded set screw holes for the pin holes, you need to remove the pins often to a new position
while forming metal pieces. The long tool could be used for hollowing, it also reminds me of a boring bar or broaching bar you might use on a metal lathe
or mill. The "boring bar" would work for boring/hollowing deep into a vessel or box.

Thanks for replies so far. I think, we can rule out other purposes for use than some form of woodturning. According to the owner's son, that was the use, senior had it made for.
@ Olaf: Will take a snapshot or two asap.

Both parts have been made according to the late woodturner's own plans - but sadly he never explained what his idea(s) was/were.

Olaf, here is a photo of the two thing held together by the two matching 9 mm holes (and a drill bit). Makes absolutely no sense to me.

C.jpg

The only other common feature is the 30 mm hole, so I tried mounting each part on the lathe with a 30 mm rod in the banjo.

The long handled thing does look like at hollowing jig missing some part in the business end.
The square one looks pretty much like the bottom part of a sphere jig.

Thanks for all contributions so far. Any further observations before I file the topic under "Semi-solved mysteries"?

A.jpg B.jpg

@ Mark: Sadly, no further help from him.
I would love to know the ideas behind to gizmos. Why was one end of the square part narrowed down? Something to do with space to swing/turn?
And if the part is the base of a sphere jig, why on earth fix it to the tool rest??
I guess *repurpose* is the only option.

Lars

Lars, would the son know what kind of shapes and forms his father turned? If the turner used this contraption very often then what the jig will do will be reflected in what the turner made.

@ Mark: Yes. Nothing else but a bit of furniture/veneer/flatwork. No metal spinning, no other uses of the lathe than woodturning, and that was little else than bowls and spindle turned decorative pieces.
It may well be that the two gizmos were first parts of jig projects with more to be required but sadly, nothing else has survived, nor have any hints.

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
Lars

Pic #1 - This combo makes no sense to me either.[

Pic #2 make sense - it would cut perfect inside circles.
However, the boring bar is inserted wrong. Instead of the cutter facing up, it should be rotated 90d, so the cutter sticks out sideways. Assuming its a 1/4" metal cutter ground.

The last pic is of an extensor bar, that projects into your hollow piece
http://www.timberlywoodturning.co.nz/products/Irons-Tool-Gate-(tool-rest-for-deep-hollowing-).html

And that you are missing the hollowing "gate" at the end that holds the tool.

I.e. the two pieces dont fit together.

Of course, this is all guess work.... :)

Last edited:
Back