• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Working with myrtus communis (NOT myrtle wood/bay laurel)

I just brought home a hefty hunk of myrtle and am curious if other folks have experience working with it. I haven't yet taken it apart into turning chunks. Much of it will probably end up being smallish, since the trunk, though large, was deeply lobed. I've got the base of the tree (maybe 16" across) and a trunk section that forks into 2 branches each maybe 6-7" across. Any suggestions about what it would be especially nice for? It seems quite dense, and I'm curious whether it would be good for threading.

Again, this is _not_ Oregon myrtle/CA bay laurel, but variegated myrtle (myrtus communis).

Kalia Kliban
Sebastopol, CA

Attachments

• myrtle trunk.jpeg
    myrtle trunk.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 55
I was given a very large Rocky Mountain Juniper 4-5 years ago which had a very scalloped base. At the time, I didn't know what to do with it and wasn't smart enough to ask on the forum. In the recent past, there have been some pieces shown in the gallery section which were much better uses than what I did with it.

One way to make good use of it is to cut a slab, completely across, smooth the surface and use it as a natural edged canvas for whatever. Some have made the slabs into clocks and some have turned a bowl into the central portion. It would be an end grain bowl, and could either be centered or turned somewhat off center, depending on what you prefer. I bet John Lucas could make a really interesting hand mirror out of such a piece.

Mostly I just want to follow this thread. The tree definitely has character but I have heard that
MYRTLE WOOD/BAY LAUREL it is subject to warpage so I would hope that someone with experience turning it will reply.

Mostly I just want to follow this thread. The tree definitely has character but I have heard that
MYRTLE WOOD/BAY LAUREL it is subject to warpage so I would hope that someone with experience turning it will reply.
I'd like to be really clear (again) that this is not bay laurel/myrtle wood. This is myrtus communis, also known as variegated myrtle. It's a shrub.

I am wondering if the myrtle you have is also known as wax myrtle... I have had some of that. As far as the California Bay Laurel goes, it is a very stable wood, with little movement as it dries. That is a very interesting piece you have, and I agree that it could make a bunch of very interesting smaller pieces.

robo hippy

I am wondering if the myrtle you have is also known as wax myrtle... I have had some of that. As far as the California Bay Laurel goes, it is a very stable wood, with little movement as it dries. That is a very interesting piece you have, and I agree that it could make a bunch of very interesting smaller pieces.

robo hippy

It's definitely not wax myrtle, but myrtus communis, also known as variegated myrtle. Really and truly. It's also not bay laurel, also not Oregon myrtle wood.

I'd like to get back to my original question, which is about the working properties of myrtus communis (known as variegated myrtle). If you've worked with it, what can you tell me about it?

I am really, really NOT looking for advice about bay laurel, Oregon myrtle, wax myrtle, or any other woods. I know that this is myrtus communis.

Anybody have experience with the wood I'm actually talking about?

Back