• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood Scraps

I was wondering what people do with their turning scraps? I end up with dozens of little cut-offs like these. Do people just trash/burn them or use them in a creative way? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200426_100739036.jpg
    IMG_20200426_100739036.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 103
I am a notorious international wood scrap horder. If I can't drop it in my pocket and confuse it for small change then it's not garbage :D.

What you have in your picture are jam chucks, shims and test pieces for finishes. But then I have been known to save the corners from pieces I have bandsawn round, so I'm probably not a good role model.

Waste Glue Blocks, Glue on Tenons, Box Lids, Spinning Tops, Jamb Chucks, Coasters, Drink Covers, Inlay Pieces, Bangles, Napkin Rings, Pull Chains, Drawer Knobs, Turkey Calls, Small Bowls and Saucers. etc., etc.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Unless it is an exceptional piece of wood, ie something that is exotic and expensive, it's all fodder for the pizza oven.

Even being ruthless in tossing small pieces I'm still drowning in scraps. I tend to be fussy about matching grain and color and such in my furniture, so it's often the case that I will end up wanting to cut the small pieces from the same board or a sister and not use the mountain of scraps I've accumulated.

Attached is a photo of a little hollow form I made from the bandsawed-off corner of a 12" x 12" ambrosia maple block. It's about 2.5 inches tall and 3 inches across. A guy once offered me fifty bucks for it.

IMG_0339.JPG

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
There are no scraps in my shop. I've made miniatures as small.as .o23". Tall. I have 3 bins full.of scrap.pieces that end up as decorative rings or collars, drilled inserts, pendant parts, knobs for boxes and of course doll house scale pieces.

Best thing to do is put them in a box for jamb chucks etc then after not using them for a year use them for kindling.
Yeah, this is what I do with them. When we moved here I dumped 2 five gallon buckets of them. I was looking for some creative ideas for my cast-offs. There's some good possibilities here.

It ain’t SCRAP ‘till it’s trashed/burned, it’s a cutoff. Scrap can’t be used to build anything since it went away in trash, through the chipper, or up in smoke . I have and use buckets of cutoffs

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
I was wondering what people do with their turning scraps? I end up with dozens of little cut-offs like these. Do people just trash/burn them or use them in a creative way? Thanks!
Conner, sometimes I combine them and then turn small ornaments. If the piece is a little larger, I get creative and try to highlight the wood grain and texture. Here's an example of a Redwood burl cutoff I kept for quite a while until I decided to make something with it.

Attachments

• red feet 3a.jpg
    red feet 3a.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 44
  • red feet 1a.jpg
    red feet 1a.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 41
Back