• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Willard Baxter

I've just learned that Willard Baxter, long-time friend, teacher and master woodturner died this evening at his home around 8:30 PM EDT. No other details about arrangements at this time. He'll be greatly missed by many of us. Remember Sara and the girls in your prayers.

Last edited:
Website
www.dickgerard.com
I'll bet Rude will greet him with a "What took you so long" as they both resume turning on Heavens' lathe.

I first met Willard many years ago at Rude's as Rude struggled to teach the unteachable me. We are all diminished by his death ... but what a treat while he was here!

Dick Gerard

Last edited:
Willard was one of the first people I met in AAW.....big surprise, there. He could have not been more generous of spirit and encouragement. He actually helped me locate my first Powermatic, serial number 0003....he had #2 and Rude had #1. It was always a treat when he would come down to Nick Cook's shop for lunch and we would share some amazing BBQ. During the last year or so, Sara proved to be an amazing wife, a servant to her beloved. I will never forget the hoards of people who gathered round Willard, the patron saint, as he rolled into the Southern Symposium for what we all knew would be his last dance. His spirit of passion and service should prove to be an inspiration to all of us who continue on in this organization.
It will be a differen world without him, but it will also be a better world because of him. May God bless him as he moves to a new life.
David Galloway
GAW

For those of you who knew Willard, there was a fine service for his burial today in a local Baptist Church. Everyone praised him as you would imagine. Some excellent stories were told on Willard that must have made him grin. He was an exemplary person in every way. The turnout from the woodturners was indicative of our love and respect. I know Sarah appreciated the gift of our respect. Willard was one of a kind. The obit in today's Atl. Journal and Constitution was such a tribute from so many portions of our community. NicK Cook named it from our side of the pasture: Willard was a "master" turner. That has a number of different meanings, but he was clearly a friend to anyone who wanted to turn wood. Blessings on him and his family. If you have a chance to write Sarah, please do so in the next couple of weeks. You can't imagine the power it will have after the wake of the funeral has passed.
Blessings,
Daivd Galloway

Website
www.woodturner.org
I am going to post the following on the website. Before I do that - does anyone have the contact info for the Lakewood Baptist Church fund?

We are saddened to hear of the passing of Willard Baxter. We appreciate all of his work both as our Auctioneer and serving on the Board of Directors. Sarah Baxter has advised us that Willard had requested in lieu of flowers his woodturning friends make a donation to one of the following:

1) The Scholarship Fund for the AAW local chapters
contact AAW at 651-484-9094 or email to woodturner@qwest.net

2) The AAW Memorial Education Endowment Fund or
contact AAW at 651-484-9094 or email to woodturner@qwest.net

3) The Lakewood Baptist Church Building Fund

Phil Brennion

AAW President

Back